Gear Selector Shaft

doogle

Whilst riding in the Manx 2 day the other week, 7 sections from the end the gear box packed up on my 4rt. It was stuck in 1st and would not select another gear or neutral. Which ended my trial.

When it was stripped down the gear selector shaft had broken. When I telephoned to order a new one, I got the impession that they have had a few of these break, and that they were designed to do so rather than cause any further damage to the gear box. Quite a clever idea?

I don't doubt it was me smacking the gear lever hard against the rock that caused the shaft to break, not that I remember catching it. Surely though it would be better to have a a gear lever that breaks/bends so you can carry on riding with a bent lever, or just undo one bolt to replace it. Looking at the lever on the mont it is unlikely you are going to bend or break that, so it's the shaft that breaks.

With the way I ride, hitting every rock and hole at the wrong speed/angle I am now a bit concerned this is going to happen again. The cost of the of the shaft is a similar price to the lever, but it's the fact that it's not a repair you can do quickly at the roadside!

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know if the shaft is designed to break to prevent gear box damage? Should I go back to riding a Beta with a bent gear lever?

Cheers

Dave

HI HAM2

HOW CAN YOU HAVE SHERCO AND MONTESA IN ONE SENTENCE

MONTESA IS A QUALITY BUILD

A DIFFERENT CLASS FROM SHERCO'S

SHERCO'S ARE MADE FROM COKE CANS :unsure:

Don't know, they make a canny rear brake peddle to suit the Mont.

HOW CAN YOU HAVE SHERCO AND MONTESA IN ONE SENTENCE

MONTESA IS A QUALITY BUILD

A DIFFERENT CLASS FROM SHERCO'S

SHERCO'S ARE MADE FROM COKE CANS

I think there are a few readers here that also have a "quality build" but they did'nt win the Scottish, either!

Go figure! :unsure:

• 7 years later...