Acu Trials Forum

mickwren

Thanks for the replies folks. Sort of illustrates what I have been trying to say. Most people are happy about the general way that the ACU runs trials> Some have a view on one particular issue.The points about overseas funding is a typical example. Most people are just happy to ride and they don't want to pay more for a few to ride abroad. We have the same thing with the enduro riders and the ISDE. I can say that the ACU do give small financial support to riders in the ACU Training squad but it a total embarrasment to me the small ammount I am able to offer them. We have had great successes this year, and hopefully more to come but the payments I will make them would make our overrated atheletes and tennis players split their sides laughing.

The truck support argument is simple. The French,Spanish and Italian support set ups are payed for mostly by the national sports councils (governments) that is because they live in countries which LOVE motorcycles. We live in a country which views us as the anti christ and would rather ban us than support us

Mick :)

Have to go and hang upside down again !

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i totaly agree with adsy that all rounds sould count then the best rider wins.

Youths do need more help in training from an early age not when bad habits have set in, lets say the top three from each class.

when they are old enough to do international event with promise, then thay sould have financial help even if it is

Edited by no1

My ACU trials registration card, has my name, date of birth, picture, and a card number on the front, with the expiration date on the back.

To renew the card for another year, I have to send another photo, all the information and you then make up a new card.

If the information hasn't changed, why can't that be stated and a stick on expiration date be sent instead of making a new card.

Or the option to purchase a card not requiring a medical certificate, for multiple years.

Would it not save a little on making the card, and the younger photo on front save the cost of having to have new passport photo's .

Edited by ishy

Here's a little thought I had...

As has been seen recently, be it rumour or not, it would appear that long-standing practice grounds are in danger of disappearing due to noise complaints from local residents. With the posts on here about Addingham Moorside being closed, not being closed, maybe being closed would it not be a far better approach to get the sport's governing body involved rather than shout "petition" and do things as an individual?

What if the ACU were to take a more proactive approach towards protecting those grounds for all to use, thus protecting the interests of ALL riders?

Firstly they'd have far more credibility than an individual trying to fight the establishment alone and secondly, I believe with a proper plan put in place and the correct communication they could alleviate a lot of the concerns of complainants.

It would probably involve taking on a whole new mindset and thinking "How can we work with these people to ensure our members can continue to enjoy the venues they have done for years?" It may involve communicating with complainants and suggesting the planting of trees or hedging to muffle/eradicate noise. If that was funded by the ACU (which I'm sure none of you would complain about if it ensured continued use of your practice venues) then hey - all of a sudden they're green! Trees and hedging are cheap and easy. The tree-huggers are happy as a motorsport organisation is giving back, the complainant is happy as the noise is reduced/eradicated and the riders are happy as they can still ride and their organising body has fixed it for little cost and it benefits everybody.

Comments?

A forum of some kind is better than no forum at all, but I fully agree with the comments made by Woody:

1) You would still need face to face meetings to finalise decision making

2) Online forums definately get very opinionated and arguments/discussions often seem very one sided

Additionally the ACU need to work on communications a little more. I am a member of an organising committe, ride regularly etc etc but didn't know about the forum until it was too late. if riders know it is taking place they should be encouraed all year to raise these issues with club officials, or online for discussion and ratification. This would encourage more toattend the meeting as it would have a higher profile.

My only other concern if the forum went online is that whilst it is difficult to tell how many people post to he boards regularly (unless your Andy of course :) ) then I have a feeling that there are a very vocal minority active in these here parts? Not something that cannot be changed over time, but may not give a full representation of views nationally. I may be wrong but something worth considering.

It's good to talk!

Here's a little thought I had...

As has been seen recently, be it rumour or not, it would appear that long-standing practice grounds are in danger of disappearing due to noise complaints from local residents. With the posts on here about Addingham Moorside being closed, not being closed, maybe being closed would it not be a far better approach to get the sport's governing body involved rather than shout "petition" and do things as an individual?

What if the ACU were to take a more proactive approach towards protecting those grounds for all to use, thus protecting the interests of ALL riders?

Firstly they'd have far more credibility than an individual trying to fight the establishment alone and secondly, I believe with a proper plan put in place and the correct communication they could alleviate a lot of the concerns of complainants.

It would probably involve taking on a whole new mindset and thinking "How can we work with these people to ensure our members can continue to enjoy the venues they have done for years?" It may involve communicating with complainants and suggesting the planting of trees or hedging to muffle/eradicate noise. If that was funded by the ACU (which I'm sure none of you would complain about if it ensured continued use of your practice venues) then hey - all of a sudden they're green! Trees and hedging are cheap and easy. The tree-huggers are happy as a motorsport organisation is giving back, the complainant is happy as the noise is reduced/eradicated and the riders are happy as they can still ride and their organising body has fixed it for little cost and it benefits everybody.

Comments?

Deep thinking at aiport methinks... but hey guess what, our favourite ubergeek is spot on. Why has no-one thought about it before???

How many places have we ALL lost over the years that we could have help onto with a little bit of lateral thinking...nice one Andy

Edited by Slapshot 3

My ACU trials registration card, has my name, date of birth, picture, and a card number on the front, with the expiration date on the back.

:) It's EXPIRY date!! You are not obligated to thank me or correcting your woeful english (too much time in the states Ish?) you are OBLIGED.

Glad I got that off my chest.

:) It's EXPIRY date!! You are not obligated to thank me or correcting your woeful english (too much time in the states Ish?) you are OBLIGED.

Glad I got that off my chest.

for correcting or `or` correcting? :(

But as for Andys` idea I`ve gotta say it`s a good `un and also can`t believe it`s not been thought of before?

Deep thinking at aiport methinks... but hey guess what, our favourite ubergeek is spot on. Why has no-one thought about it before???

How many places have we ALL lost over the years that we could have help onto with a little bit of lateral thinking...nice one Andy

Thanks - and it was actually airport thinking as there's sod all else to do in these places. When you work for a US corporate you not only have to learn all the buzz phrases, but you gotta learn to act on one of them and "think out of the box". I do believe some "thinking out of the box" is needed. My suggestion was just one. I'm sure there are others.

PS. Idea copyright me. It may not be used in any trials publication without my permission :)

...and when you work for the government, thinking out of the box get's a visit from MI6 boys looking into your background, bank accounts etc etc and whether you signed the official secrets act as mickey mouse!!!

and it was actually airport thinking as there's sod all else to do in these places

Watch the women....... :):(

Edited by Slapshot 3

Mick Wren - First of i don't believe you are and if you all cross reference my 1000+ word reply to the other thread you'll see my critique (and compliments) of TMX

as we all say we're all 80 to 90% "happy" with minor tweaks that need thrashing out

a) to me why the TEC is a far off committee when my giant centre (in both trials and enduro terms) has no one on it (I

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want to get into the politics of the various governing bodies in our sport, however it could be that the general apathy towards getting involved in the organisation of our sport is simply that the majority of riders are quite happy with our current system.

I must admit that i would prefer to get out and ride my bike rather than make my way to a stuffy conference room to offer my opinion on the sport.

online forums may have a place in informing those that make the decisions, however i do feel that we need to treat these forums (not just TC) with a bit of caution; I must agree with others in saying that there is a danger of a vocal minority not giving a full representation of views.

What we do need to do is take one step back - get our clubs sorted out - more and more i see trials with over 100 entries which have been organised by clubs which have many hundred members set out by two or three keen (mad?) workers. If we get our clubs working as clubs - every member taking responsibility in doing their bit (however small) to helping out, the rest should fall into place - the ACU/SACU system is build on club representation - with clubs not working as they should its no wonder that the systems failed.