4rt Draggy Clutch Problem

rev3rev3

hi every one, im finding out a bit of info for a work mate, hes new to trials and owns a 2005 4rt, i had the pleasure of trying this bike, but i was disappointed due to the dragging clutch, (everyones night mare) , but apart from that the bike is fantastic, does anyone have any ideas on the problem, i dont know what oil its running, so it will change as soon as i recive info or ideas, thanks everyone,

well, I'm surprized you are not inundated with replies!

the clutch was the first thing we worked on... mine was terrible!

for a quick fix..try automatic transmission fluid that works well, or use the actual oil recommended in manual ...

everything else ain't no good

then you get the clutch leaver and reservoir from the 315....it works better

then you get aset of mitani clutch plates...........by this time it should be working well

why they couldn't fix this on the world's most expensive , most hi-tech machine is beyond me .......................................masso

masso they did , have you tried an 06 monty?

that seems to be the only real difference between the 05 06 models.

as for no replies we were all in bed its nite time over here

i have used putoline 75 weight oil and it works fine in my monty.only thing is sometimes it howels like the 315 used to but this just maybe cos i use it harder now . good luck

two of my frirends run 4rt't and both of them suffer from nearly being impossible to get into neautral when running.

this is due to clutch drag ! motul 300 v in g/box works well but they still do it.

Montesa 315's used to suffer the same fate till you fitted honda cr 250 friction plates.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with mine 05 4RT. But if the 06 4RT does have the problem with the draggy clutch, what is the difference between the clutch from a 05 4RT and a 06 4RT.

Picture of mine home made sump guard

I have the same problem with mine 05 4RT. But if the 06 4RT does have the problem with the draggy clutch, what is the difference between the clutch from a 05 4RT and a 06 4RT.

Picture of mine home made sump guard it is longer (protection for the link system) and gives more protection to the waterpump and flywheel.

Edited by fantic303

• 2 weeks later...

Picture of mine home made sump guard

Picture of mine home made sump guard it is longer (protection for the link system) and gives more protection to the waterpump and flywheel.

.............I've learned alot about clutches just reading 4rt replies

automatic transmissin oil works or, the very expensive recommended in the manual oil .......everything else I've tried dragged!

mitanio clutch plates or install 06 clutch plates ...this will cure problem .........................masso

• 11 years later...
On 9/25/2006 at 5:00 AM, masso said:

well, I'm surprized you are not inundated with replies!

the clutch was the first thing we worked on... mine was terrible!

for a quick fix..try automatic transmission fluid that works well, or use the actual oil recommended in manual ...

everything else ain't no good

then you get the clutch leaver and reservoir from the 315....it works better

then you get aset of mitani clutch plates...........by this time it should be working well

why they couldn't fix this on the world's most expensive , most hi-tech machine is beyond me .......................................masso

Could you please explain why the 315 reservoir/master cylinder works better? I've seen this a few times on various treads. I know it holds more fluid however the plunger diameter/bore is the same so it won't be causing anymore pressure than the standard AJP one will. I just can't see how it will make a difference. I also read a thread on another forum called "improving the 2005 Montesa 4rt" and they fitted the 315 master cylinder then went on to say it was an unnecessary mod as it made no difference at all. No having a go I'd just like to know your opinion on the subject. Cheers, Gaz.

2 hours ago, gaz12349 said:

Could you please explain why the 315 reservoir/master cylinder works better? I've seen this a few times on various treads. I know it holds more fluid however the plunger diameter/bore is the same so it won't be causing anymore pressure than the standard AJP one will. I just can't see how it will make a difference. I also read a thread on another forum called "improving the 2005 Montesa 4rt" and they fitted the 315 master cylinder then went on to say it was an unnecessary mod as it made no difference at all. No having a go I'd just like to know your opinion on the subject. Cheers, Gaz.

Not sure why some say it changes things but I am at least able to give a guess.  Not all of them have the same lever or the same pivot point location, this could change the stroke and leverage to give it just a touch more throw at the slave side.

Best guess but at least its one possible explanation.