Rev 3 Gearing

the addict

Been wanting to lower the gearing abit the rev3 during the past few weeks. The gearing is very good on the beta all the way through but I would prefer to use 2nd a little more in the streams and for short blasts up hills. First is so long you tend to ride just about everything in it and hooking up second seems a bit fast on most stuff and difficult to ride tight turns without clutching.

Got a 43 tooth Talon rear last week along with a 50 link Renthal chain to do the job, was expecting to have to knock a link out but the 50 fits straight on and gives a 20-25mm clearance from the swing arm which will be a great help in the coming mud trials.

Will be giving it a good run tomorrow for most of the day so hoping it will make a change for the better and post what I thought of it.

First is still plenty long enough but second is much more usable even on tight turns and short blast up hills where first has always been the order of the day. Well pleased with it today and really glad I bought a Renthal chain over the Iris, one of our lads bust a new Iris today on top of a rock step, high up a climb as well at the East Yorks. Also heard a few others busting there as well over the two days, is there a problem with them?

• 10 months later...

What front sprocket did you run with the 43 rear???

I'm looking to do the same sort of thing with my rev 3...

I've tried 11 front 41 rear and 10 front and 42 rear. Was sort of hoping I could go 9 front 43 rear.

Whats other people using ????

I went down one tooth on the countershaft on my '05 and it made a world of difference. I stopped overshooting corners and had much better control. I had an '02 before and the stock gearing was fine but the '05 was a handful with the stock gearing.

Dan