Fourstroke Lumps In Twinshock Bikes?

marky g

Fancy doing something a bit different, I've seen a pic of a fourstroke engine in what looked like a TY twinshock frame, lovely looking machine.

I understand you can buy Chinese engines (Honda copys) off John Bliss for right money, I've heard one of these engines running and it did sound very sweet.

Has anybody put a fourstroke engine in a yam frame?? any major problems?

Cheers

Mark

P.S don't want a TLR, just fancy something different

Hi there. Is this the kind of thing your thinking of? Honda clone engine in a mini majesty frame.

There has been some mention of these on the Yamaha forum in the past. i think yer man John Bliss builds them?

They look quite tasty eh

I got this photo off the web months ago.

post-2509-1160271086.jpg

Edited by LesGamble

Yes Lesgamble, thats the sort of thing I was thinking about, don't they just look lovely...better than any TLR eh :D

To buy the complete machine of Mr Bliss is quite expensive from what I've been told, I was thinking about doing something myself with and exsisting TY running gear and looking into buying a lump off Mr Bliss, I think the engines were going for

Edited by Marky G

Nice bike. Look how tight a fit that motor is in the frame. I wonder how much bickering goes on when it is entered in the twinshock class, seeing as it was built recently with up to date geometry etc. I know my Scorpa 125 a/c is frowned upon. Even though I will never win any medals. Jobsworths= not only in the work place. :D:D

I think in his ad in TMX a while back a NEW 125 was

Edited by bo drinker

The Cotswold Majesty is indeed a good bike and performs very well. There's never been a problem with anyone moaning about them being ridden in the twinshock class as no-one, quite rightly, considers them a fiddle bike. The frame after all is a mini Majesty frame dating from 1982 and the engine just a copy of the xl/tlr type motors from the 70/80s. It's got modern forks but so what, it's not the only bike to have them, others fitted them a while ago. Drums not discs also.

I remember Jon telling me it is a bit of a shoe-horning job though to fit the motor and all the ancilliaries like airbox, exhaust etc. However, if you're planning to do your own, remember you will be starting with a Yam frame (175, 250 ??), not one of the Godden mini Majesty frames, unless you're planning to buy one of those of Craig Mawlam, so the frame will be a bit bigger with a bit more space available.

Thought about the TY175 frame and running gear Woody, there's loads about and right money too... my only concern would be height in the frame for the lump, I'll have to get me tape measure out on the 175 and the 250 frames.

Mikedabike on here is fitting a XL185 lump in to a TY175 I think. Send him a PM he will let you know about the heights etc.

P.S. is that what I think it is on the floor below the sump guard in the pic above of the Cotswold? :D

I considered fitting a TLR motor in a Gasser chassis, bought a chassis off eblag as I think Jon Bliss has done a few, but I had a ride on a mates Scorpa 125 and went out and bought one instead.

Edited by bo drinker

When I bought my ty250 twinshock there was a second one in bits with it.At the time I intended to build it up and flog it,things got busy,started riding the twinshock trials and really enjoying it.Looking at other bikes,(saw one of the Majesty/Jhailing specials - looked/sounded great)Had me thinking,about the spare bike,as I really wanted a Seely Honda,(had a new TLR250 in 86,an86 RTL in89 etc)would it be worth finding a Yamaha Serrow xt225 motor for it.Reason for wanting the Serrow engine is the electric start,my right knee is a bit dodgy and kicking up a four stroke engine on a cold damp day is painful.

The extra weight I dont care about,I'd just like a 4stroke trials bike with leccy start.Building it really doesnt bother me - just wondered if anyone else has done it ?

I've recently acquired a TY175 bike parts (and split engine in boxes) and was thinking of toying with the idea of putting a bored out TL125 engine i have into the frame. The TY frame seems big enough for the TL lump and should give enough power, especially if you can use half of a CB360 carb set on it (which I have done with excellent results).

I've a couple of other projects (aka money pits) on the go, so potentially have frame and bike available to anyone who wants to have a go at building one.....

i built a honda xl engined special, but because i had to do it over time and gat the bits to a budget and in dribs and dabs, i did not use a rollong chasis which would have been easier and probably cheaper. some of you in the south west would have seen it in the somerton and blackmore vale amca events along with others

it is/was bright green, i used an ossa frame, xl125 mono forks & front wheel, after market shocks, mudguards, fantic tank, xl 185 rear wheel and engine, and hand made airfilter box and other bits and pieces

i enjoyed building it and learned quite a lot about engineering and problem solving, and after 6 years found it to be quite reliable but a bit too powerfull and not smooth enough, due to carb and compresion problems, but still is competative, especialy in the muddy hill climb type events, shorter forks would also make a big difference, i have now got a tlr 200 and my son now fancies riding the grren machine in twinshock trials.

i can post photos if anyone is interested