New Sherco 250 0r 290?

beta rider

After happily owning three successive 250cc Beta Rev3's, I'm seriously considering a switch to a 2007 Sherco to try a different bike for this year.

I normally ride the clubman course at my local club events and have found my 250 beta to have more than enough power.

I was planning to buy a 250cc Sherco, but have been warned against this by some Sherco owners and my local dealer who all state the 250 Sherco has a harsh power output. I have then been advised to purchase a 290 which I understand has smoother low end power.

Can any Sherco owners give advice? I have noticed very few 250cc Sherco's for sale second hand. Do most riders purchase 290's for their smoother power?

I will attempt to test ride the bikes before I buy, however any help in the meantime would be appreciated.

Good greif Barry, don't listen to all this drivel on here (Mark is writing at the moment :P )

Go ride them both and see what you like.

I think you will find both the 250 and the 290 are fine. Yes, the power comes on a bit different here and there, but all in all I think you will find both to be enjoyable bikes.

Of course with your track record, not too sure how available Demo bike's will be from your mates. :thumbup:

In the end, it really does not matter what I, or any of these Beta guys lost down here in Sherco land think, it is how it feels too you, and each bike will be a bit different.

The only other thing I would suggest when testing bikes is to bring along your spanners (or whatever you guys call them) and set up the bars etc. to your liking on each prior to saying that you do or do not like a bike.

God you type slow Mark :thumbup:

Edited by Alan Bechard

I have owned two 2.9's '01 and '03, great bikes, LOTS of power!

My '05 bike was a 2.5 which was quite snappy and not a lot different than the 2.9's to begin with, but lent itself much better to the smoothing effects of the Boyesen reeds and slightly reduced ignition timing to settle it quite nicely.

I am therefore opting for another 2.5 as soon as it becomes available.

We shall see how the '07 bikes are tuned, as they seem to be coming equipped with the shorter header pipe once again, which was more aggressive in the power.

Having ridden the '06 2.9 they did smooth the low end power nicely, but it will still pull your arms out of the sockets!

I just think the 2.5 is more versitle than the larger displacement bike, as with minor changes you can tune it to suit. Out of the box, the Shercos do seem more agressive than the Beta's, each having its own traits!

:thumbup:

Good greif Barry, don't listen to all this drivel on here (Mark is writing at the moment :thumbup: )

Go ride them both and see what you like.

I think you will find both the 250 and the 290 are fine. Yes, the power comes on a bit different here and there, but all in all I think you will find both to be enjoyable bikes.

Of course with your track record, not too sure how available Demo bike's will be from your mates. :D

In the end, it really does not matter what I, or any of these Beta guys lost down here in Sherco land think, it is how it feels too you, and each bike will be a bit different.

The only other thing I would suggest when testing bikes is to bring along your spanners (or whatever you guys call them) and set up the bars etc. to your liking on each prior to saying that you do or do not like a bike.

God you type slow Mark :P

Thanks, we finally got some good info here :D

and the two posts following Alans`

by the way it wasn`t me requesting the info I was just trying too pull it back in line :thumbup:

i have got both 07 290 sherco and 06 250 beta did the same just wanted a change after two

betas .the sherco is quite a lot different to ride than a beta aswel. the build quality on the sherco is not a patch on the beta though and needs parts changing under warranty due to build quality straight from the crate!I will be getting another betaThe back up you get from lampkins is second to none.

Here's my'recent' bike history:

Sherco 290-01

Sherco 290-03

Sherco 250-04

Sherco 290-05

So reading into that you would think I was a 290 fan, but ,no.

I would rather have the more revvy 250 than the soft torquey 290.

I just can't come to terms with the 290-05 'mushy' bottom end.

Apparently the 290-05 is supposed to be like this.

The 250's power tails off nicely at the top end of the revs and helps to maintain grip on a slimy slope where as the 290's soft torque helps grip off the bottom end.

Even tho' the bikes weighed the same ,save for a few grams, the 250 seemed much more maneuverable(I think that is the gyroscopic effect and torque 'straightening' effect of a bigger motor).

It's horses-for-courses,make sure you THOROUGHLY ride the actual model you are buying,don't go thinking it's the same as the previous models like i did.

I haven't ridden a 'black Sherco' but I hear the 290-06 has an even softer bottom end than the 05.

Sorry I can't be more up to date than that. :thumbup:

Yeah dont come and hi-jack the thread hes asked a question about getting a sherco not to go back to beta!!!

From what iv been on the 290 is pretty powerful especially for a fairly smallish guy i would have said lots of pull nearly pulled my arms off and that was with a slow action throttle although they are probably tamed with things like flywheel weights if you can get them not too sure about the 250 though.

I had a 06 Sherco 290 and the thing that I did really liked about the bike was the motor once I dropped the counter shaft by one tooth, the power was very smooth and revved out nicely. I have ridden a friends 05 250 Sherco and I didn't like the power at all (sorry Mike), too soft off the bottom so you have to rev it and then of course that is not as smooth as using good low RPM power. Of all the bikes I have ridden the 290 Sherco has the power that I like the best, that is as I said above with the smaller counter shaft sprocket :thumbup: