Windsor Comp Shop

scotty

Doe's anyone remember this shop back in the seventie's, what bikes did they sell? and did they support local ace riders? i think my ossa mar originally came from there as it had the little " castle" stickers on the side panels( it came from burham/ taplow area, we lived in high wycombe at the time!)

some pic's would be great if anyone has some?

Nick :lol:

From what I remember they were one of the first Ossa dealers, maybe even the only one at the time. Before the Mick Andrews Replica models came out around 1973 Ossas had a very large fibreglass tank and seat unit, but Windsor Comp Shop did a version of their own, doing away with this and replacing it with a neat alloy tank, alloy rear fender and seat. Never actually saw one up in the North East though, the only Ossas we saw were ridden by the late Louis Bertorelli who stuck by them for a good number of years, while everyone else was buying Montesas, Bultacos, Greeves, DOTs Cottons, Dalesman etc.......

Gone but not forgotten.

Sold all the Bikes of the time, Ossa, Bultaco, Montesa, Italjet, etc. Trials, MotoX, Grasstrack. Supported lots of riders in Southern and South Midlands Centres. The legendary stunt man 'Windmill Wood' worked in the workshop, the showroom and track tested your bike after it was in for any work - 'It will be ready on Monday!' :lol:

Windsor shop closed down and the business moved to Sid Morams in Slough alongside the roadbikes. Eventually it became no more.

From what I remember they were one of the first Ossa dealers, maybe even the only one at the time. Before the Mick Andrews Replica models came out around 1973 Ossas had a very large fibreglass tank and seat unit, but Windsor Comp Shop did a version of their own, doing away with this and replacing it with a neat alloy tank, alloy rear fender and seat. Never actually saw one up in the North East though, the only Ossas we saw were ridden by the late Louis Bertorelli who stuck by them for a good number of years, while everyone else was buying Montesas, Bultacos, Greeves, DOTs Cottons, Dalesman etc.......

Louis bertorelli

theres a name from the past. he was a legend. Prepared his ossa's very well he knew all the mods, showed me how to reshape the sump shield so you could get the side casing off without dropping the sump shield. Cut off the inner lug that the chain passed either side of and if the chain caught shattered the casing, re jetted the carb etc. Louis could ride a bit too.

Hope your still getting cleans wherever you are Louis

Yes, thats my old mate Webby with Geoff in WCS workshops. Pete also paired up for the 100 mile scramble with Mick Andrews on that early fibreglass topped Ossa MX machine. I also prepared a special T&O 325 Bultaco for Geoff and WCS at about the time of the picture. What a sad loss for the sport that he died so young . I've since met up with his sons on occasions at YMCA trials they are a credit to such a lovely man.

I remember Windsor Comp Shop. The regular trips down there so dad could get another new bike which was going to make all the difference and raise his trials abilities to legendary status, mum with the hump, again, little sister throwing up in the Marina. We bought several over the years from there, a 250 Ossa, a 247 Montesa, a TL125/150, and a Montesa 172 that me and dad were going to share, yeah right. The good old days of steel toecapped wellies and overalls. I'd forgotten about all that and realised that I'm just as bad, or good, as dad was. Just got my 4rt and that's going to make all the difference!

:lol:

Thanks for the pic's motosinge 83! anyone got some pics of the front of the shop maybe with some bikes outside? keep the stories coming in! unfortunatly i never got over to this legendary shop as i was only 15 at the time!!! Nick.

SUBIRA you cannot mean my old mate 'Woodsey' surely you are too young to remember that! ?? :lol:

The very same - not too young to remember, now getting too old!

A few rounds of the Saturday evening T&O events were held down at Hedgerley Park, near Gerrards Cross, keep seeing it from the M40 just north of the M25 junction - from what I remember it wasn't a bad bit of land. SSTC seemed to have the most use of it at the time, I think it was the Farnham Royal lads that managed to get the odd date there. Can't work out what its used for now - no trials or MX there for sometime.

Was the Bultaco before or after Geoff's Beamish days ? Like I said getting too old to remember it all clearly.

A few rounds of the Saturday evening T&O events were held down at Hedgerley Park, near Gerrards Cross, keep seeing it from the M40 just north of the M25 junction - from what I remember it wasn't a bad bit of land. SSTC seemed to have the most use of it at the time, I think it was the Farnham Royal lads that managed to get the odd date there. Can't work out what its used for now - no trials or MX there for sometime.

Rode there a few times with the SSTC. Orson Wells used to get his bikes there, used to frequent here a few years ago I think, ace bloke...

Mike

• 3 years later...
Doe's anyone remember this shop back in the seventie's, what bikes did they sell? and did they support local ace riders? i think my ossa mar originally came from there as it had the little " castle" stickers on the side panels( it came from burham/ taplow area, we lived in high wycombe at the time!)

some pic's would be great if anyone has some?

Nick ^_^

As a schoolboy, I used to drop in to Windsor Comp Shop on my way to the cafe a few doors down (worlds best chip butties). The shop was always full of Montesa's, Ossa's, Bultaco's, SWM's, Husqvarnas, MZ's and CZ's, a mesmerizing experience for the senses. Why else would a ex-pat Brit living in Florida without a hill or gully in sight buy a Sherpa T 350? Some dreams are cheaper than others, albeit a little late! My wife is offering to pay for for my psychiatric treatment!

I loved that these machines were true workhorses, showing battle scars and remnants of mud camouflage. I guess there was a mix of customer bikes in for service, resales of 2nd hand bikes, but I can't remember any of them being shiny brand new. On a recent trip back to the UK in 2009 I drove over to Windsor from London in the hope of reviving old memories, so was very disappointed to find it no longer there.

It would be great if anyone could share some photos.

Thanks

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

Remember it well! Used to catch the bus there from Englefield Green every week just to go and look at the bikes. In later years I received some support from them on a Cheney Ossa and rode South Midland, SOuthern & South Eastern Centre events. Later switched to a RL 250 Beamish Suzuki again supported by them, Happy days.

The land you are refering to near Gerrads Cross was used first of all by the SSTC ( I was one of the founder members). IIRC Bill Howes (Mark Howes dad) got us permission to use it from the land owner. We did a lot of trail clearing to get a few useable sections as I remember. We also used a piece of land owned by the Haslam family aaround the Chalfont area.

Riders I remember

John Bull

Colin Mitson

Mark Howes

Tim Blackmore

Pete Hampton

Mick Widdowson (sic)

Trevor Woods (special effects wizard these days)

I often wonder what they are up to these days

Riders I remember

John Bull

Colin Mitson

Mark Howes

Tim Blackmore

Pete Hampton

Mick Widdowson (sic)

Trevor Woods (special effects wizard these days)

I often wonder what they are up to these days

Tim Blackmore is still riding.