Number Plates?

hop blip and a jump

Even if the bike has been registered the the road before, its very unlikely that the DVLA will have the records for it and you will have to re-registered, with an age related plate for road use. (pre 80's its unlikely you'll get the number back)

I've recently tried to register a frame for a Honda TL125 I have and even though I do have the number, the previous owner (farmer) had not responded to the DVLA for 10+ years, therefore they assumed the bike was defunct. I have a battle to get that number back for the bike.

If you don't know the number, then.

+ get an MOT for the bike (daylight MOT for the bike is fine, its pre-83)

+ get road insurance. I use Carol Nash's classic insurance policy for 2 trials bikes (and my road KTM) at the moment

+ get a dating letter to verify the year of manufacturer. The DVLA recognised 300+ clubs and associations who can verify the age.

+ book the bike with your nearest DVLA office and arrange a vehicle inspection; you'll need to pay for tax and they will allocate an age related plate.

i'd agree with your 1st three steps, but the vehicle inspection ialthough reccomended is not essential

Dvla at leeds for example always insist on it but at Manchester they've never asked for one!

nip down your local office with your dating letter insurance (on the frame no.) mot and money for the tax disc and see what happens

ps take a newspaper at least its a long queue....

i'd agree with your 1st three steps, but the vehicle inspection ialthough reccomended is not essential

Dvla at leeds for example always insist on it but at Manchester they've never asked for one!

DVLA in Cardiff (Llanishen) always has a nice queue and state that the vehicle inspection is optional, though I've never registered a trials bike there. Worcester DVLA always insist on a vehicle inspection, but can usually issue a number there and then....The age related plates get taken from a defunct pool of numbers, Worcester seem to use an old Radnorshire number set and and for old prefix numbers can usually find one with 2 numbers rather than 3, for you to then paint on your rear mudguard :-)

Ah, getting an daylight MOT can be another hurdle; finding an enlighted tester is always very helpful. For sure, West Mercia police don't know what one is. I've been stopped a couple of times bringing the bike through Hereford after dropping the van off at the garage...always an entertaining discussion....