Tdn

amiller

Just a question to think about a bit. I am wondering how important we US trials riders feel it is to send a team to the TDN each year. Myself, I have not decided but I will explain a little bit of why I wonder.

I dont know the shape of other clubs in the US but we here in D4 are struggling a bit. We were down by 40 plus riders most of the season. Our funds are getting low to the point that we have not seen since the mid 90s.

We are looking at ways to cut costs and bring in a bit of operating cash to keep the club running.

The next thing I wonder is what good really comes of us being at the TDN. No riders that we are sending can compete with the top riders in the world and the little time spent riding with them seems rather expensive for the returns.

I guess the bottom line of my question would be could we not better spend our money at home. Our club is organizing an event to raise money to pick up some of the slack for TDN funding. We really could use that money in our club but we are trying to do our part. Other clubs raise huge amounts of money every year for the event and I dont see much benefit to them or trials in the US. Importers also help pick up the tab and I am not sure what they gain right now.

Would it not make more sense to spend this money on land for our clubs in order to protect our sport a bit? The other thing I could see is setting up a fund to help some new upstart here in the states go to Europe and ride with the best. Maybe we could help make the next number 1 in the world trials rider. This might bring a new face to our sport here in the US.

Anyway, just wondered how some of you felt about this??

Aaron

Great questions with few clear cut answers.

I wish I had some wisdom or insight, but must say, I have wondered about the questions myself.

I really, really, really think clubs should start adressing the land issue, it will only continue to get more difficult in the future.

I agree with the good questions point - I would like to focus on the point of declining club membership; the five Texas clubs seem to make a concerted effort to make sure the competitions and club meetings are 'family friendly'. The competitions have easy sections close to camp for the cadets and rookies with several dads looking after the little guys and girls. They also include a bicycle trial using some of the same cadet / rookie sections; all very popular. All of this serves to bring new competitors to the club (I've been puttin' a whuppin' on those 12-yr-olds in the Novice class lately - I won't mention that I'm 45...)

What I see is somewhat steady membership... some drop away and are usually replaced by newcomers; but overall the membership seems to remain fairly constant.

Here in North Texas we are fortunate to have a 2500 acre tract of privately-owned land thats available for all types of motorcycle / ATV use. I will be proposing to our club to set up an information booth at each trial for all the MX and enduro riders that would like to find out more and possibly hook up with one of our local dealers to have a demo bike available - we always have lots of looky-loo's from the enduro set when we have a trial. I see this as a great way to bring new people into the sport. If you have something similar in the way of a riding area, it might work for you as well.

All of that to say, more people = more money = better funded TdN effort. Trials will end up (is already) like competitive road bicycle racing, largely dominated by the euros. Cycling had the Tour du Pont which was like a US version of the Tour de France; it received significant TV coverage (but is now dead). US riders competing at the top levels stand a fair chance of TV coverage which can't hurt.

Edited by clarkp

Q. Does being involved in the TdN make any difference to the normal club rider?

A. No.

Q. Why should a country who is not likely to be in the top few of A Group compete in the TdN?

A. This is a bit more long winded.

True most riders will never even attend the TdN let alone be selected for the team to represent their country in their chosen sport but don't so many young sports participants want the chance to represent their country?

If you by not helping your countries team to compete at the World Teams Championships are you encouraging your young riders to switch to another avenue of the sport or to some other sport totally? So few riders do make it to team selection but so many young riders want the chance to be selected I believe we should do what we can to give them that opportunity.

Be proud of your team, your riders, bask in their glory and encourage your youth to ride.

Peter Arnold

Aaron:

Yes, good questions and thoughts! It's unfortunate that your club is going through a bit of a hard time! In my many years of being in trials, 30+, I have seen the ebb and flow of membership many times. I think it's fair to say that in most clubs there is always a core of guys who have been around for many years, and some that maybe stay in it for 5 or 10 and get bored with it and move onto something new. I believe this will always be the case!

I don't know if I have any answers at all to your good questions, but, I'll try. In my mind, the goal of any club is to look after the majority of it's membership and the club itself. Yes, making it a family sport is crucial and a good way to bring new people into the sport. But, I think it's a mistake not to always have an avenue open for the few who possess that special quality of talent and desire. It must be nurtured. But, not at the expense of the club's main interests.

I think the avenue of sending a team to the TDN must remain open for that reason. Very few if any of our young guys could afford to go to Europe and compete with the Euro's to get better, so the TDN might be there only chance. I think you also have answered some of your own questions too. If there aren't any strong viable clubs in the country with secured land to ride on, there won't be much hope of those clubs sending excess funds to support any TDN team.

Cheers, Steve

It's an intereting subject, my mates and I were just talking about the same thing except we were discussing what we could be doing in a positive light to aid our countries team to the TDN and develop more interest in the sport of trials at a local level...You make it all sound very negative. People need to support their country to be part of something as a selfless act. Support a team/idea/etc.....for reasons that have absolutely no benefit to them on a personal level. That is why teams go to the olympics to compete, to represent their country and their people. I am sure that in your area of the world there are a few young lads and lasses that have very big dreams of TDN competition. Your job would be to foster those dreams in a positive way and do all you can to help them acheive these goals. Land use issues in the US are no different then in my part of the world, so maybe you can set a TDN goal of X amount of dollars and the rest goes towards gaining land for the club.....Does your TDN team make it that hard to support them, I would think not..........Ask not what your sport can do for you but what YOU can do for your sport........MADMAX :lol:

Edited by madmax

Thanks for the replys. It seems clear to me that so far all are in favor of the TDN. The only thing I might add right now is that I never said I was against it. All I wondered was given the present circumstances is spending money on the TDN in our best interest for growing our sport? The answer may very well be Yes. Or, could it be possible to put those funds to better use dirrectly towards our own World Champion. If you want to spark some interest in the youth here in the US show them how we can have Lampkins and Ragas in the states.

Its been over 20 years since we were competive in the world arena. That just makes me consider the fact that maybe we are not doing all the right things to get a new world champ. I totally believe we have the talent. Look at Geoff Aaron. If the same money that has been spent to send him to the TDN over the years was spent just to keep him in Europe for training where might he have gone?

Once again these are just some thoughts. Over the last few years I have watched the sport struggle a bit around my clubs. I am aware of the fact that you will have these cycles. Our club has been pretty strong since it started in the early 70s. We have had a good club with 25 members and a good club with over 100. We have produced a few of the top national riders along the way. So can we here in the US take it to the next level again.

I agree that there are many issues for local clubs that are always compounded when they are not profitable or are losing membership, but I think is is still important to try to push the level of our top riders as high as we possibly can.

Something I have not seen mentioned yet is the positive impact a club gets from having a top rider. It is even more of an impact if that rider has the opportunity to get to Europe. The trickle down effect of the learning that takes place is very valuable for the younger riders who want to try to get to the top.

Just because we are not currently competive at the top world level does not mean we should give up. Going to Europe on your own as a rider is a massive and overwhelming task. The TDN allows a rider to get their feet wet with a fantastic support system. If they take to it then they will have an easier time for their own effort.

Mark

I've competed in Europe 5 times. The first 4 were on my own dime, with a little help from a few supporters. The last one, was as a member of the 2002 TDN Team that was fully funded. 2001 we didn't get to go because of 9-11

The first european event I went to was in Italy in 1997. I was the only american. They treated me like I was royalty and gave me the #1 riding bib and starting time. When I stood on the starting stage and they announced my name, representing the United States of America, I rode off to Section 1 with a face full of tears. Words can't describe how proud and lucky I felt.

The last one was as a member of the 02 TDN team. In the opening ceremonies when the whole team marched out carrying the american flag while our national anthem was being played, IS BY FAR, the most memorable, fantastic experience of my life. Tears streamed down my face as they had 5 years before . . . the effect didn't wear off.

This is why a team from the USA goes . . .not because we're the best trials riders in the world, but because our country should ALWAYS be represented in international competition. The few; the proud.

I guess I'm patriotic or whatever, but I just don't feel any negative ideas of whether or not to have a TDN team are warranted.

I've had many young riders express to me that I have inspired them. I know the same is true for all the other top riders who've been selected for the TDN team. Dont' worry, it's worth it and keeps goals in the eyes of the young.

Laura Bussing