Has The Practice Of Wheelie's Have A Place In Trial's.

bilco

Do you practice wheelie's  

57 members have voted

1. 1. @@@

• YES
    • NO

if you can't wheelie then how can you acuralty place the front wheel for steps zaps and so on? no matter what the advanced move may be it's only throught the perfection of basic riding skills that they can be accomplished.

rob

Yes..this is the real point of wheelies in a trial..the accurate placement/timing of the front wheel into/on to an obstacle , not sitting your a*** on the back mudguard and wheelying through the start gate to the end cards.

in the big indoor trials most of the time the guys are uni cycling it

And we all ride these don't we...?

I stand by my statement, wheelieing has no place in a trial. Lifting the front momentarily does. I agree that there is occasions when making the front light and floating it round can help but I suspect that's more than a wheelie.

A wheelie as I see it is a sustained ride on the back wheel that is controlled by the throttle and if needed the back brake. Most riders can lift the front, some can hold it for a time before the revs run out, others can hold it by shifting up, the best can do it by finding the balance point. That's a wheelie, as I see it popping the front to clear an obstacle is just that, popping the front.

So you have defined what your interpretation is of a wheelie.

What is Trials then?

The way I see see it a Trial is the actual competition. So what if I am out practicing, am I still Trials riding? I would like to think so. I practice wheelies as they help with the balance and of course the all important posing in the car park!

When I am doing a display or demo am I trials riding? Wheelies are also a big part of that.

So surely wheelies DO have a place in Trials.

Can't believe anyone is arguing on this! When did anyone win a trial by wheelieing? A definition of a trial can be found on Inverness clubs website here.

The question was "Has The Practice Of Wheelie's Have A Place In Trial's." It doesn't, unless you call a wheelie lifting the front. Sure, they're great for demos, trick riding etc but if someone is going to do a poll on the subject then what

Used to practice wheelies alot a few years ago, mainly because it was the only thing to do on the bike in the evenings if I wanted a bit of a ride.

I dont practice it anymore but would still say I am quite good at it, never had to use it in a trial but being able to wheelie propally does teach you good throttle and clutch control as well as vastly helping your balance in your riding. As somebody else has said front wheel placement is improved onto rocks and steps which does help, also 90 degree plus pivot turns are alot easier if you can wheelie a bike easily.

I think you need to be able to "get it up" but you don't need to be able to ride on the back wheel.

that sounds so wrong, i never new you swung that way mate.

i think it is a very big part becasue it is esencial for moor crossing etc and jumping big ditches and in the big indoor trials most of the time the guys are uni cycling it

:guinness: neither did I until I read back my original post today! Funny how things crop on you like you innit? fnar fnar!lol

Edited by seandellear

Canines` avatar made me think of a differnt example: A wheelie in Motogp sure won`t win you a race but I bet if you asked Rossi if knowing how too control a wheelie helped his riding I think he`d say yes.

Which I beleive to be the case for trials knowing your bikes each and every character will enhance your riding no end. Take it too it`s limits if you can push them a bit further. Then you become one with the bike and know what you and it combined can or can`t do in a section when needed

Ramble over :xmas: