Zoom Lens

sherco 040

Some of Sergio's stuff is okay, (don't tell him I prefer Andy's stuff). I haven't really had much chance to shoot much yet, only had the camera a few weeks (been savin up) all I've done so far is landscapes and arty stuff, once I can get to a trial I've about 10,000 old photo's to compare the quality with....

The Link is a great website for Canon information, lenses flashguns you name it....

I'll use fill in flash at trials though you can always play with dark shots on photoshop.

Edited by Slapshot 3

Eric actually has one of the largest private camera collections in Europe. His camera of choice for Trials is Nikon. Absolutely fantastic guy. Has some great stories and regularly turns up in press rooms with beers for those of us still working. I'd love to think I'd be as fit and active as him when I'm in my 70's, but somehow I doubt it!

I have a Sigma 70-200mm that I got from Eric (which reminds me I still have to pay him for it!) that I use with the 1D to take the close-up headshots. Awesome lens, but not cheap.

Eric actually has one of the largest private camera collections in Europe. His camera of choice for Trials is Nikon. Absolutely fantastic guy. Has some great stories and regularly turns up in press rooms with beers for those of us still working. I'd love to think I'd be as fit and active as him when I'm in my 70's, but somehow I doubt it!

I have a Sigma 70-200mm that I got from Eric (which reminds me I still have to pay him for it!) that I use with the 1D to take the close-up headshots. Awesome lens, but not cheap.

Just drops the 1D...(

Don't think it really matters as long as you are filling the frame. Some of the superzooms are good value 28-200mm for example. Personally prefer smaller focal lengths but there are times where a longer focal length is better.

From an earlier post the 17-85mm IS USM Canon has gone up in price, Jessops shops are selling at

Andy...Is that the 70 - 200mm f2.8 lens.....might have an option on one, used but definatley not abused :D

Sherco040, what zoom lens you need depends on what you're shooting.

Are you shooting local trials where you can get as close as you like? If so, a wide angle zoom is the best choice. If you can't get close, like at a world round, then you need to get a telephoto lens that will allow more magnification of the rider/machine.

For wide, the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 is your baby. It will make your trials pics look absolutely spectacular, as it exaggerates, rather than minimizes the size of the obstacles. However, you must get very close to use this lens.

To supplement it when you can't get so close, or you're not trying to get the most radical action, the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM is an outstanding choice. This fast lens will focus quickly and look tack sharp when stop down to about f8, which you need to do to get decent depth of field.

Long shots will look great with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM thanks to the image stablization technology. For a bit less money, there's the EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM.

Finally, a flash is mandatory. I will eliminate harsh shadows on a sunny day, and brighten up a dreary one. The more flash power you have at your disposal, the better, so the 580EX rocks.

At your end, you must learn to pan. If you don't, you'll have a blurry rider and a tack-sharp background, exactly the opposite of what you want.