Ajs / Matchless 350 Trials

scotty

Im interested in adding one of these (if i can find one?) it wont be a rigid!!! to my collection as ive always loved the look of these bikes, how much are these in good condition? what year/ model best? how effective are these in pre65 trials (dont quote len hutty as thats more to do with the rider than the bike! ) also can one get used to the rear brake being on the left side of the machine as ive always been on continental re japs style bikes most of my life!

pointers what to look for in case of being ripped off? :D

thanks in advance lads :D

you cant get used to the brake been on the 'wrong' side, I ride a cub and a beta and i drop more dabs through stamping on the wrong lever than any other reason ( other than i cant ride for toffee)

how much you want to spend is up to you 1500 might get you a 'ruff' barn find that you will easily spend 500 on just to get it running and relaible where 4k might get you close to a hutty lookalike without the performance

Rarely seen anything on the market though as fewer are ridden these days, bring it to a yorkshire classic pre unit trial ( one every month) to strtch its legs but not your lungs!!

Can't really offer any advice on how much or what to look out for but the brake on the left shouldn't really cause a problem.

A bike like that and the type of sections you use it on can be ridden on the throttle alone and when you need to brake just the front brake should be enough as the closed throttle engine braking will slow up the rear.

Unless you're riding it on really nadgery stuff - which they aren't really suited to unless fully modernised - I can't see that you would ride it one finger on the clutch and brake style. If you do, it's just a personal thing as to how an individual adapts to the left brake, no use asking anyone else as we're all different. My C15 for example hasn't even got a rear brake fitted at the moment and has been like that for the last two trials. Doesn't bother me though as I hardly ever use it when it's there, but it's not something that causes a problem if I have to - neither does the right change.

Good luck with the hunt, I'd love one myself but don't know enough about them and could easily get taken in by someone with a mind to.

Edited by Woody