Dellorto Vhst Carb For Rev3

the addict

Well after weeks of travel and family get togethers i can now get back to Sundays as bike day. :)

Out come of second time out for me with the Dellorto.

Fantastic, ran all day with out any problems. :)

Cleaned the carb with airline (Not filterd air) and put the bike back together on Saturday.

The Boot (Rudder from airbox) is still very tight because due to work leading up to Christmas did not have time to try any of the post on making it bigger. With the rear mudgard, airbox, tail pipe and middle box off the bike put the carb on easly.

With the boot still on the airbox slid it on to the carb, this is very tight but only took 3-4 mins but is the sacond time doing it. Wth the middle box off you can get to the otherside of the boot which helps.

The other thing that needs to be looked at is the end of the throttle cable, not the wire but the plastic cover some times gets pulled out when i am over the front ie going up a step or bank me belly hits the cable by the handle bars which pulls it out of the cable guide at the carb end but only happend twice.

I had a few big offs today aswell and had no problems starting the bike after.

Will clean the carb this week because we have a hard trial on Sunday and i do not wont to take any chances with it playing up but i will leave it for a few outings with out cleaning it and see if mine plays up. It is worth saying i am over the top with carbs any way, if i wash the bike with a presure washer i do take the carb off, it only take a few mins with the old one to take off and put back on so i might be taking the Dellorto on and off a lot more than some people because this is what i am used to doing.

So 2 things so far i need to sort out, the boot and the cable coming out of the cable guide on the carb end.

Sorry for this being a bit long winded but if i was going to buy a Dellorto i would wont to know all the details before shelling out

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing that needs to be looked at is the end of the throttle cable, not the wire but the plastic cover some times gets pulled out when i am over the front ie going up a step or bank me belly hits the cable by the handle bars which pulls it out of the cable guide at the carb end but only happend twice.

Do you have 'normal' bars with the brace or the fancy fat bars?

If they're normal, try routing the cable through the bars over the clamps but below the brace. Test to make sure that the cable isn't too tight when on full lock. Big belly won't make no difference then :)

I would like to say it was because 8 ft step and the near vertical bank you have to be right over the bars but no you are right Kinell it is the fat guts. :)

I have normal bars on and i think we threaded it threw the bars before now you say?? but will give it a go.

Cheers.

Talking of fat a good reply to those fat comments.

Ralph is in the high street looking at the cream cakes through the bakers window when a couple of Bl#ody ugly, slim blokes (least i can diet) walk past.

Ralph:- Morning.

1st Bloke:- Ralph, why are you fat?

Ralph:- Becuase every time i give ya wife one she gives me a biscuit. :D

2nd Bloke:- :)

1st Bloke:- :)

And it works.

Edited by Ralph

Talking of fat a good reply to those fat comments.

Ralph is in the high street looking at the cream cakes through the bakers window when a couple of Bl#ody ugly, slim blokes (least i can diet) walk past.

Ralph:- Morning.

1st Bloke:- Ralph, why are you fat?

Ralph:- Becuase every time i give ya wife one she gives me a biscuit. :P

2nd Bloke:- :D

1st Bloke:- :)

:):)

And no probs today with the carb only the jockey. The bike ran lovely all day and it had been up side down a few times with me 10m down the banks.

I did take it off and clean it again this week after washing the bike only took 1/2 an hour.

I have still not done anything with the boot and the cable guide.

The next thing to try when the weather is a bit dryer is a few weeks without cleaning the carb only changing the airfilter and see if it fails then???

So far for me i am very happy with it and would be gutted if i went back to the mikuni carb.

I have the VHST fitted to a Rev3 200 for some time now and after taking a bit of time to get the jetting setup, with plenty of advice from Carl,

the bike is going great. I had found that with the Mikuni the bike had a flat spot in the midrange and that caused problems when trying steps.

With the VHST fitted the power delivery is so smooth the whole way through the range that it has transformed the bike.

I have had no problems with starting the bike, never had a blocked jet and don't have fuel running out.

I can also park facing downhill :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Dab Myster i agree it has transformed my bike.

The carb has had a real test over the last few weeks, i have been working all hours and i have had no time to clean the bike or the carb.

The blocking of the pilot jet has been the big worry for me changing to the Dellorto, i do not mind cleaning the bike when it needs it but i do not wont to spend time cleaning the carb after every outing. This last few weeks the bike has had nothing done to it apart from one filter change (very bad i know but thats the good thing about a beta) which rubs against the grain a bit but some times thats the way it is.

First two outings were very wet and nailing it every where lots of mud, the last two have been dry. In all i think thats been about 28 hours riding and the bikes not missed a beat!!

So far i can not fault the carb and would recomend one but still a bit more time needed to see if its worth

• 2 weeks later...

And again no Problems with the Dellorto 2nd time out with out cleaning and ran nice all day.

The other bits that need doing i have not done, work has taken up abit of me spair time over the last 4 weeks but will be able to spend a bit of time and money on the the bike soon.

I think that it is well worth the money for me and i would spend

• 4 months later...

It has been some time since i added me bit about the Dellorto i fitted to the beta.

I still got it on and it makes the bike run lovely.

I clean it between 2 and 5 outing and those outings are 6 hours or so, in between i drian the carb down and run some petrol through.

I change the air filter every time i ride.

The boot you get used to, the cable guide is still at the wrong angle but i put the cable between the brace and the clamps so now me guts do not knock it out.

If you like maintaining the bike its well worth getting, its transformed my bike.

I would recomend getting a shop to fit it so it is jetted right then you only need to tinker with it.

Edited by Ralph

• 11 years later...

On 6/17/2007 at 6:07 PM, ralph said:

It has been some time since i added me bit about the Dellorto i fitted to the beta.

If you like maintaining the bike its well worth getting, its transformed my bike.

I would recomend getting a shop to fit it so it is jetted right then you only need to tinker with it.

I just ordered one from Lewisport for my son's Rev 3. He said it may need some jetting changed. What do you recommend?