What's Wrong With 200s

scraggydog

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started competing in trials on a new GG Pro 250 (03 model)

Was soooo light, but rode me through every section, and I struggled to be 'smooth' (I had come from 13 years of Motocross on 125's, where throttle control is either full on or shut off!!)

I bought a 125 Scorpa new in 04, and really really loved it. Was easy to ride, reliable and improved my riding.

The opportunity came up for a 'hardly used' 200 Beta and Ive had that the past year. Very similar to the Scorpa riding slow in sections, but has that bit more grunt if you need it. Great Bike...

The advantage of the Beta is it's a full 200, has the low down torque of a 250 without the snappiness to spit you off.

I haven't tried one of the new Scorpa 163cc yet tho...................now theres a thought !!!!

cheers

John.

I'll chime in that the 200s are great. I had a Gas Gas 200 Pro, and it's the best of the 125 and 270 worlds. It has the needed grunt down low for all but the heaviest riders, but can be spun up without feeling like you're going to get out of control. I can actually go up bigger steps on a 200 than a 270/280/300 because I can be more confidently aggressive with the motor.

I think the popularity issue is a testosterone thing. For some testicular-based reason, the average basher thinks he's World Championship material and he needs to ride what the top guys ride. If you ride with your brain, rather than your family jewels, you will make the right decision.

Sorry guys, I know I've banged on about this on the Beta forum a lot but the Beta 200 is a superb bike. Smooth a silk and more than enough for any club trial. Pulled my lardy a*** around with absolutely no problems and if I was totally focussed on competition, I'd probably have bought another last time round. I only bought the 250 because I enjoy my "play" riding too and I didn't enjoy revving the a*** off the 200 in those "bet you can't get up there you poof" situations.

If you want to improve your skills and results, get a 200, no question.

I have to chuckle at the number of people humbly saying "200's are great, nobody needs any more than a 200. If I decide to sell my 250 I would be sorely tempted to get another 200"

If they were so great, then why did you get a 250/290/300. Or are they just good for beginners, and you're above that?

I reckon what you can do on a 200, you can do on a 300, the throttle is not an on/off thing, most of them have got a clutch, and some of them have gears.

Then when you do need to pull 4th while hauling a fat butt, the power is there to pull it.

OK - maybe a bit of devils advocate here, but humour me.

I fully agree with you and the reasons I bought a 250 were I had a Scorpa Easy 250 for a month and hated it (too heavy etc for what I wanted too do) didn`t know anything at all about trials and thought there were 125`s for the young uns 250`s for the real people and 270`s/300`s for the gods! but now i`m getting too grips with things I can`t wait too be in a position too buy a 200 be it new or old (well not too old)

Obviously this is just me and reading this thread a fair few people seem too be slowly admitting overbikeness?

Nothing wrong with 200's at all.

But when it comes to giggle factor.....it's all about torque.

For competition purpose the 200 is ideal for nearly all mortals.

But for outright play time/giggle factor, I'll take the 270cc....cause of the torque on tap.

Played on a Gasser 200 and 250 plus a '97 Beta 300? and Aprilia 280, and just purchased a '07 Sherco 2.9.

Why.... giggle factor. I'm not really into the comp thing so it's about playing.

Yeh that's why I also ride KTM 300's --TORQUE=giggles

My 2cents

Have to agree with BK and Neon, I would love a 200 for events especially the types of comps we do, but there is nothing like a 270 for fun factor and play time. A great deal of our sections are the biggest hill climbs we can find and the 270 eats stuff like that for breakfast

dont worry to much about re sale

when my 200 was up for the chop i got a brand new 250 top end from johnboy,for just over 200 quid

fitted it and sold the bike as a fresh rebuild 250 no probs.

still got the 200 barrel and piston(for a future project???)

I ride a 200 Beta and Find that I ride the bike in the sections and not the bike riding me if you know what I mean.

I have had montesas and Gas Gases in the past including the 200 Gas Gas but found the Beta to be really smooth on the power and finds grip in any conditions plus you are not getting your arms ripped out of your sockets when you are knackered at the end of the trial.

I know what my next bike is going to be. :chairfall:

I'll chime in that the 200s are great. I had a Gas Gas 200 Pro, and it's the best of the 125 and 270 worlds. It has the needed grunt down low for all but the heaviest riders, but can be spun up without feeling like you're going to get out of control. I can actually go up bigger steps on a 200 than a 270/280/300 because I can be more confidently aggressive with the motor.

I think the popularity issue is a testosterone thing. For some testicular-based reason, the average basher thinks he's World Championship material and he needs to ride what the top guys ride. If you ride with your brain, rather than your family jewels, you will make the right decision.

I agree.

The 200's are hard to come by, at least when I used to live on the Wet Coast of Canada. Strange they aren't promoted more. When I get settled in and think about riding again I will be considering a 200 series somethng if I go two stroke, unlesss something good is available in four stroke 200 to 250.

I think many people could ride better on a 200.

One of the locals here got a GG 125 Raga rep, just so he could put the 200 top on it! It is really sweet!

I always wished Sherco would produce a full 200 cc bike, the 2.5 in a de tuned and less aggressive mode was the best I have had yet. Still had the big torque too! And even the 2.5 is not popular here, shame!

:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a montesa and all the moden ones are all 250cc, if they made a 200 then i would defo ride one.

My father has been riding since he was 20ish and is now almost 60, he told me he was getting back into trials again just after I bought mine, and said he would get a 200cc of some kind, and he would still kick my ass. He rode in expert in his best days and always had a small engine, he told me that a 250cc is a bit much unless you have a 2nd name of lampkin :)