Gas Gas Rear Wheel Leaking From Spoke Holes.

scorpa3

Sorry. I know this one has been covered before but I can't find the postings on what sealer to use on the rim tape to stop it leaking through the spoke holes.

Can anyone tell me what is the best sealer to use? Is there a trick to getting the tape in place? We spent two hours on it this afternoon and the damn wheel leaks like a sieve!

Thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Sikaflex, we use it at work but I'm told it,s also used to install windscreens in cars, it never really goes off as such just sets to like a rubber so you can still get at spokes if needs be.

I'm sure the usual suspects will harp on about using nothing at all and clean the rim up etc etc...trust me they'll still leak (I'm sure I've read on here that John Lampkin recommends using sika...but dont qoute me).

I sika all my tubeless rims and I have no trouble whatsoever...... :bouncy:

Edited by Marky G

I use Sikaflex, we use it at work but I'm told it,s also used to install windscreens in cars, it never really goes off as such just sets to like a rubber so you can still get at spokes if needs be.

I'm sure the usual suspects will harp on about using nothing at all and clean the rim up etc etc...trust me they'll still leak (I'm sure I've read on here that John Lampkin recommends using sika...but dont qoute me).

:agree:

I've used Everbuild premium PU40 one part polyurethane sealant same stuff as sikaflex just different brand, don't use silicone it ant no good. Had to hunt around for it but a trade counter dealing in engineering, automotive or marine should be able to help. Good luck

When you use the Sika Marky do you put the rim tape in first and then seal it in with the Sika or do you actually seal the spoke ends with the Sika, apparantly when windscreen fitters use it they use a primer on the metal parts.

When you use the Sika Marky do you put the rim tape in first and then seal it in with the Sika or do you actually seal the spoke ends with the Sika, apparantly when windscreen fitters use it they use a primer on the metal parts.

Good question. The new tape was a pig to fit, it would be a nightmare to fit if it was going into wet sealer.

Sikaflex is wrong, or else it would be there from the start.

Its not easy to do things right always, but once or twice and the job is not that bad, bit like changing tyres remember how difficult that is the first time you do it?

As long as you don't have a problem with a spoke its fine, or once you have it on you can never true a wheel or tighten a spoke.

Lets say you hit a step a bit hard and it leaks half way round the colonial, what will you do then Dooge?

Dabster is the man on this subject. I struggled like hell the first time. I found the problem was that I had unequal tension around the tape. Once you have the tape under both lips you need the feedback the excess tape towards where the tape is in tension. You may need to do this incrementally by pushing a bit of tape very near to the area that is in most tension and work around.

Picture it like this, find the bit of tape that is most in tension, put this in the 12 O

Sikaflex is wrong, or else it would be there from the start.

I know where youre coming from Dabster, but lets face it, with the exception of the tubless rims fitted to Montesa the design with a rim tape sealer has got to be one of the worst ever.....tell me how many people post on this very forum with leaking rims??

Its a bad design isnt it!

Each to there own I suppose :wall:

When I first used Sika, I used to put it all over the spoke holes the put the rim tape on, very messy.....now all I do is put the rim tape on clean then run two beads of Sika either side of the rim tape then smooth it over with my finger...run a small bead around the valve area (note no sika under the tape).......this then leaves the spokes clean for any adjustment / replacement etc.

Works for me everytime...... :bouncy:

Happy new year to all.......

I understand and accept what Dabster says but if just a rim tape is right and Sikaflex is wrong because it comes from the factory with just rim tape my Gas Gas was only 2 days old and hadn't turned a wheel apart from Al the spanners excellent pdi when the rear was flat, surely if it comes from the factory in that state using just rim tape isn't the total answer, mine isn't an isolated case either it happens to a lot of lads with these rims, various remedies are sought and implemented fair enough most of them don't work so that takes us back to Dabsters method of getting it right in the first place, my argument is that if the factory get it wrong so often there must be a genuine problem with method of sealing the spokes and using sealant could be a viable alternative, just my thoughts really beacause I did take a rim tape out once and got into a real pickle with it :bouncy:

I think we all have different methods so why not tell people what you do with this problem and then let the person who posted the question decide which method to use ?

Personally I havent been able to get hold of sikaflex. I always take the tape off and put instant gasket on every spoke nipple. Then refit the tape and put more instant gasket around the valve hole before refitting the valve. Get the spoke tension right before you start as once they are right I dont find i need to adjust them that often.

Getting the tape back on is a bit of a chore but I always manage and I'm no mechanic, i just force it under the lip with my finger ends. Once its done it will last about six months in my experience.

I think the Mont rim is better but my mates Mont is only six months old and he's had the wheel rebuilt as he kept snapping the spokes. Solution for me would be Mont rim with the spoke nipple in the hub so you can use a conventional spoke. This design used to be popular but i dont know why its no longer in use ?

happy new year

Dabster:-I see your point (no, your flies arent un-done) about it coming from the factory like that so it is better to get it right rather than pi55 about with sealant and all that.

However sikaflex around the rim tape does seem popular and people say it works and I can see no reasons to doubt that and I cant see any problems of using it! And when the time comes to turn a tire and you need a new rim tape, if the sika doent just pull out I am sure petrol would shift it.

So personally when I have to turn my tire I will try to sort it without sealant but if that fails I will certainly try the sikaflex around the tape! But, I would not try the covering the spoke nipples as this sounds very messy and I am not sure how affective it would be.

These are just MY opinions.

Cheers

Sean

Edited by seandellear

I must say that I am reluctant to take the tape off again unless I have to, it was a real pain to get on. There is either a technique which I haven't mastered or I am just less patient than most of you.

So with this in mind, I'm going to have a look at re-adjusting the tape so that it is on with an even tightness then if this doesn't work it's going to be the sealer.... on top of the tape, not under.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the suggestions.