What Happened To The Kawasaki Kt 250!

scotty

Dont know if it was any good or not never got to ride one !

Had a test ride booked up at Chris Horsfield Motorcycles in Evesham, arrived with a wadge of cash ready to buy one.....and was told that it didnt have any oil and they were too busy to stick some in. Having travelled about 100 miles to test/buy a KT250, we were understandably cheesed off, so called into Westbury Motorcycles in Bristol on the way home and bought a new Montesa UKR 250 instead !

Probably the luckiest escape ever :icon_rendeer:

Martin

I had a Kt 250 in the 70's. It was a great bike but much to heavy to do trials with. There were however many different mods on the market to make the Kt competitive. My Kt was mainly used as a trail bike and covered many miles. Always started instantly and was incredibly reliable.

I liked the Kt so much that I've still got one and it sits in the garage with the Gasgas 250 pro and the 06 Monty 4Rt.

Yes the KT is not as easy to ride in sections as the more popular mid-1970s bikes however there are some redeeming features:

Lots of people have never seen one and want to know more about them when they see one.

They have great styling.

Trying to agree on which design concepts were stolen from the other brands is a great discussion topic.

If you are a bit of a gumby rider, riding a KT is a good excuse to use for your high score.

The front brake arm is an amazingly distorted piece of steel and is way over-designed (another good discussion topic)

They are a terrific trailbike - even better than a TY or a TL250.

The straight cut primary drive gears make the coolest whirring/whining noise under load.

With a few changes to the suspension, they really aren't too bad to ride in sections.

Don Smith was involved with the development and I reckon that's pretty cool.

post-325-1167824755.jpg

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 2

I have to come clean here guys, ive actually have one of these in my garage!!! but never riden it! :icon_rendeer:

as it needed a complete restore? its nearly done and looking at the feed back youve given i'd be more than happy to trail ride it (when i get the lights wired up!) ive got the majesty etc to do trials on so no big deal!

thanks for the replies! :blink: still reckon its the best looking trials bike (with lights fitted!). :wacko:

Bloody Hell!!! never seen works kawasaki's like them before? the frames look totally different from the production versions? single downtube looks more like a bultaco chassis than a kt one?

were the petrol tanks moulded plastic? anyone got some closer pic's? :icon_rendeer:

The two pictured were KT330 development bikes, destined for production just before Kawasaki pulled the plug on its trial bike manufacture. Some more work was done after this pic to rear suspension, but none made it onto the market. Love my KT, have quite a bit of devolopment on it, would love to post a pic but seem to be having difficulty getting the pic to upload to the site, do I need a higher level of access?

• Like 2