Beta Techno Starting Problems

jezzaxt

Hello. New to the forum and would be grateful of some advice. I've had a beta techno techno 250 1995 for just over a year and it can be very tempremental. If I run her regularly she's fine but if left she gets the hump and won't start . I've checked the spark which seems fine, and after several kicks the plug is wet so it would appear to be getting fuel. Eventually she fires into life and once up and running it's absolutelty fine. starts first kick. Next day it's back to the start again. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be eternally grateful coz my left leg is aching and my foot hurts from kicking it over so much. I have tried a few different plugs but not found one that solves the problem consistently

Hiya and welcome.

Really, for getting a bike to fire you need fuel and a spark.

If you're sure there's fuel then focus in the spark

(There's been quite a bit posted on here about Beta electrics.)

Suggest you pull out the plug, put the cap on, ensure the plug is touching the engine and kick her over looking for a nice meaty spark.

Sorry of this sounds a bit basic but it's a good place to start .....

Let us know how you get on.

Hi

don`t know if this will be much help, but I have a techno, found it to be a really good bike,

the only peculiarity with it is, it would be a total b***ch to start if you forgot to turn the fuel off

when you put it away, even a short van journey with the fuel on would leave it difficult to fire up.

remember to turn the fuel off, and it would fire up first kick every time.java script:emoticon('<_<', 'smid_1')

<_<

Hi,

I don't have a techno, but a Rev 3. However I used to have exactly the same problem- was a complete pig to start. I was going nuts! The first thing my friend adjusted was the throttle cable that was too tight and then he adjusted the idle screw- it seemed to be flooding and trying to rev too much on idel. Then as mentioned you need to turn the fuel off when you park it and I always keep the front wheel on a piece of wood to slightly raise it when storing. The choke on next ride and it starts first or second kick.

Thanks alot for that everyone. It's definately sparking. I'll turn the fuel off as I never ever do that and see how we go. After that i'll try the throttle and adjustment and tweaking the tick over. my gut feeling is that its getting too much fuel if that's possible. Thanks again

Hi there, I've got a 1999 techno had had terrible problems with the carb, and too much fuel flooding the bike.

As you will on this site, quite a few folk have problems with the carb setup on their betas, which could be a possible fault with yourself.

Good advice as already posted, make sure the fuels off, even when you're out on the bike, and stop at section, or whatever, turn the fuel off. it will make a difference I'm sure.

i spent 2 days trying to get my bike started at one point, and evenually had to get the carb setup properly, and now she's runnng no problem. The Beta's a really nice bike and i'm sure you'll get round the problems.

A recently new member myself so all the best.

<_<

Ok thanks for that. I've put a new plug in and in the end took the carb off. It looked pretty grimey in there so I blasted it out with some carby cleaner good and proper. A few kicks later and she started. I've had the carb off a few times now and have had to blast it out. I've put an in line fuel filter on trying to cover all bases here. Can't see any splits in the air intake or box and i've changed the air filter. The thing is I don't know if its common to have to blast the carb out as often as I do. A couple of my mates have got sherco's and never have to touch their bikes.

On another point i've been running ona 50:1 mix i.e 100ml of oil to a gallon of petrol. Can anyone advise me if this is correct. Have seen a fair bit on the forum about this with regard to the later models and people seem to runa bit leaner? Thanks for all the advice so far

Depending on what oil you are using depends on the mix

for good quality semi sinthetic use about 70:1 and for fully sinthetic

about about 80:1 to 100:1 depending on the brand & type.

50:1 is too much oil it will be running oily on that mix

and never run clean!

Depending on what oil you are using depends on the mix

for good quality semi sinthetic use about 70:1 and for fully sinthetic

about about 80:1 to 100:1 depending on the brand & type.

50:1 is too much oil it will be running oily on that mix

and never run clean!

Very much in agreement with the post above, far too much oil. I run 75:1 in a 02 rev 3, I don't have any problems with fouling plugs unless the horrid daughter plays with the throttle. I also found that if i used something like Shell powermax petrol, I could go down to 70:1.

Castrol or Silokolene 2T generally

Hope it helps

• 4 years later...

hi, im new to this site and have a beta 250 techno 1999, and i cant get it started! it has a good spark and loads of compression.

Ive put a new plug in it and it still wont go. It wont even fire. has anyone got any ideas? ive cleaned the carb and put new fuel in.

is there any sequence with the choke on carb etc?

This is my first trial bike and im iching to do a trial. thanks for your time. dan

• 10 years later...

Resurrecting this thread... 

I have a '98 Techno that I left the fuel on for a few days. Now it doesn't seem to want to start. I've pulled the plug and it was a bit wet so I used another plug I had that was new... still no fire. I haven't specifically checked the spark but considering the bike ran fine a few days ago I don't suspect the spark. My questions are, doesn't the engine fill up with fuel if you leave the fuel valve on? If so, will that prevent it from starting? How can the fuel be removed without disassembling the whole thing?

Thanks in advance!

My 97 techno 250 sometim es slobbered gas out of the vent tubes on carb while removing it from the bike stand.  Removed carb-  float bowl. float arm was correct.  Replaced the old style metal to metal needle & seat assembly with matched set- assembly.--  The new needle has a Viton tip.   I see you are in Colorado - I bought the needle & seat assembly from a on line shop in oregon- Itscalled- PJMotorsports.com.  The float bowl gasket was found on e-bay.  I will have to search that out if you want.      Not saying this is your bikes issue, It did bring my Mikuni back - no leaks, if the fuel is left on it no longer leaks sitting or when bouncing the bike around.  running or not.

Thing is-  the betas frame is the gas tank.  not e-z to flush out to put it with out cuss words-- lol.  the fuel tap does have a rather crude plastic screen in gas tank-frame.  There is also a cross over tube for the frame rails above the carb. this gets hardened and sometimes leaks. I only run my petcock on reserve. When petcock is on main, it draws fuel from a too small plastic tube that extends about 12" up into fuel tank-frame.  Its a hassle to make it sano- look proper but it can be done-   i added a small slintered bronze fuel filter from carb gas inlet to petcock.---  and i only cussed 1 time-- under my breath of course--  did not want to frighten the shop dog--- lol !