Which Sherco?

gaz

The 290 is pretty powerful and it feels it. A slow action throttle is a good place to start. My 290 is well made and reliable and I don't know of any general faults. Re fitting a sherco airbox can be trying though you don't have to remove it to clean the air filter. Some say the back end is a bit wooden compared with a gasser etc but they track well. There are slight changes year on year, the 05 is the last of chome frame models.

Once again, the 2.5 may be initially snappier, but it responds better to a bit of taming.

With a re set of the timing and the Boyesen reeds, it totally changes the bikes power to smooth and predictable. Cost about 20 of your quid things. And you can set it back later on!

You can only tame a 2.9 soo much! Why, you ask, because it has a LARGER MOTOR! DUH!

Which bike is in better condition? That is the question as well?

:beer:

reading through TC sherco forums, alot of mod talk going on. are the bike still good out the box? quite a few people mentioning the slow action throttle. is this a mod a should seriously look at or wait til i'v ridden it a few times?

(when i was initially lookin there were loads 04 sherco's about, now im ready to buy they've all gone!!!!! unless i want to pay a kings ransom or travel to a million miles.)

thirsty stuff!

:beer:

Slow action a must ?

I fitted a slow action after about 2 trials on a brand new 05 250 Sherco made alot easier

on cambers and turns.Made the bike easier to control .And it stopped me getting arm pump

Id go for a 290 if i had to buy another.The only reason i have a 250 is because i won it in

a compertion.Slow action only about

Thanks for the response guys. really appreciated! think im gonna go with the 290 and look into the slow action throttle.

when i go to look at some bikes are there any areas or general faults i should look out for???

There's no general faults,buy the best condition bike you can find.Ideally one with an o/40 owner who maintains it properly and just uses it for local club trials.Ask what maintenance he does,hopefully clean filter/carb every trial,gearbox oil changed every 6 trials,linkage greased monthly.Check the spokes are tight spin the wheels see if theyr'e buckled.Don't know where you live,but bikes from the south east tend to have the easiest time with no rocks to get bashed on and short distance laps.

The reason for this is that the 290 has a long stroke engine which makes the engine more forgiving and make finding grip a lot easier. The 250 is a short stroke engine so therfore it is a lot revier which tends to make the bike break traction easier

I don't know where you got that from, the 250 and 290 both share the same crank assembly so have identical strokes.

Your theory right though, longer stroke engines usually find more grip.

I can't really comment on which is better as I've never owned a 250 I allways had 290's but I did have a quick go on a 250 at one of the demo days, I found it considerably softer in the mid to top end can't say I noticed it being quicker at the bottom.

Chris