Silent Trials Riders ......

daggs888

I would agree with the majority of the sentiments already stated. I'm a newbie from last august time and found this site very helpful. Someone pointed me in the right direction for the best club and venues from here (cheers brian !! :banana2: ) and any questions ive asked have got a reply so i can't fault it from that perspective.

I would agree with some of the previous posters about the issue of replying...there's a lot of stuff on here i know nowt about so i cant really give an opinion

Its a well run site with an extremely low prat count....so keep up the good work

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think more people should use the search facility. I've seen the same question posted seceral times and it gets to the point where I can't be bothered answerin again. I know its lame but I just wish folk would use the search.

Perhaps Andy coould make the seach more visable?

- it can come across as a bit clique-y sometimes.

It definatley does feel like the site is a bit like this sometimes.

I think more people should use the search facility. I've seen the same question posted seceral times and it gets to the point where I can't be bothered answerin again. I know its lame but I just wish folk would use the search.

With regards to the above, i find the search facilty does not work very well, for instance if you type in painting plastic or plastics, it does not bring the topic up for some reason. the top topic it brings up is "The best looking trials bike ever" that mentions "plastic" once. I may be doing something wrong, but i have tried several differnet things to try and bring the topic up as i know there is a direct match to what i am typing in to the search facility. In my view the search facilty needs to be simplified or something changing in the mechanics of how it finds things , that is typed in, or otherwise we will always get the same questions asked time and time again..

There was talk of a TC Wiki a while ago and if something like that could be used to build up a knowlege base lists it'd be really useful. I'd be happy to help out running something like that if required. Maybe even just a sticky FAQ in each bike-specific forum?

A Newbie forum would'nt go a miss in my view.

There's a lot of new blood or people who parked there bike's up 30 year's ago and now coming back into trial's that probaly don't know much about trial's so they hav'nt got the knowledge there to reply to post's, apart from asking question's about there bike's which most of us have seen on here before.If you type in the wrong view in the forum's it can be like a lamb to the slaughter if your not used to the other user's reply's if they don't agree with you.I just love to be a lamb so it don't bother me.lol. .In a newbie forum they can get through the door grow together and then progress from there.

I know what you mean Bilco, but I'm not convinced it's the right way. It may segregate the novices from the old hands even more?

I think there has to be a bit of allowance for new members. I'm always up for a bit of banter/sarcasm/whatever, but I do try to lay off new members. Old hands are fair game and I'd hope people would feel they could knock seven shades of **** out of me without me getting all defensive :D

If you're not sure whether people are old hands then maybe err on the side of caution. Of course with some people you get to learn that even as old hands they still don't like the banter, and you can decide from there whether you want to wind them up or not :blink:

Not sure, but these are my thoughts :banana2:

FAQ's is a good idea. I wonder if this is something Andy could easily set up?

I tried to find the old posts about leaking spokes a few weeks back.

I knew the question had been answered before, but I couldn't seem to find it. Ok.... me being thick, but I did try.

So I posted a new question which was fully answered and many thanks for that.

Other examples of FAQ's which I have noticed are concerning Stators, Beta Carbs & best make of tyre.

I'm sure there are a few more questions which it would be handy to have a quick answer to.

Dougie P: I'd agree that the search functionality is on the weak side. It's the only thing about this forum package I'm not totally satisfied with. There is a new version out which I've got installed on my test site, but not had a chance to fully investigate yet. Hopefully it will be improved in that.

Neonsurge: The Wiki is installed. Again, I've just not had time to familiarise myself with it or customise it. You have PM on that.

Scorpa3: I found a mod for the forums that allows FAQ functionality, but it would be either Wiki or FAQ - no point in having both. I'd prefer to give the Wiki a try first if people are prepared to contribute to it. It offer a far wider range of possibilities.

As for the general standard in the forums, I think it's spot on. I post on some that make me cringe with some of the bollocks people spout and as for the amount of people that use text talk on forums - drives me bloody mad! Take them out and shoot them for being too stupid to own a computer, IMO :banana2:

:D

I am relatively new to the sport (1 year) and I have been on the forums a while aswell, from day 1 on here I was hooked and have been on virtually everyday unless I am/was on holiday! (Isn't that sad! :banana2: )

I like the idea of a Wiki, think it would be great to be able to get information when it's required without the risk of asking the same question that has been asked 20 times that month also!

If an extra forum for newbies to trials and/or the forums was created, What about making it banter/sarcasm free? So as not to scare people away in the first couple of days of being around! If the regulars were to post regularly in there and chat to new people about the sport and the site so there do not become two seperate groups (oldies and newbies) and to encourage them to post in other forums unless they are already doing that!

I do think people need to give others a break sometimes and not be so quick to jump down there throat the first time they do something incorrectly like posting in the wrong forum as bilco said but it does make laugh when someone does get rinsed! :D

Cheers

P.S Just realised I have been on here 9 months now! Bugger me that went fast!

Edited by seandellear

I do think people need to give others a break sometimes and not be so quick to jump down there throat the first time they do something incorrectly like posting in the wrong forum as bilco said but it does make laugh when someone does get rinsed! :banana2:

If I spot something off-topic (like posted in General when it clearly should be in a bike forum or UK or whatever) I'll move it and, sometimes, if I have the time, post a reply saying it's been moved to the correct forum. It's a good guide to the poster to take more care over where they post without insulting them. The moderators will move it, but rarely post any kind of message saying they've done so, but might PM the user telling them where to find their topic. Flaming for being in the wrong forum is not something I've seen - unless I'm missing something!

I would, however, actively encourage the flaming of any muppet using text talk :D

This wasn't the moderators if I remember correctly! I seem to be remembering someone having a jab at someoone about posting in the wrong topic! However this was a long time ago now so this may have been to do with something else! For some reason though I have it in my mind that this happened! My mind may be slightly boggled! :D

If this was not the case though then I am sorry for pointing the finger!

I think the way you deal with stuff on this site is spot Andy, very proffesional indeed! When I see people use text talk I cringe and think "you did not want to do that!" :blink:

I hope you don't mind me asking but Why does text talk annoy everyone so much? :banana2:

Edited by seandellear

I hope you don't mind me asking but Why does text talk annoy everyone so much? :banana2:

I do suffer from an irrational reaction to veiwing text talk however, the brain is remarkable in its power to invent a new language even designing syntax on the fly! and this is mostly done by relatively un-educated people.

I believe also, educated people believe this 'shorcut' language is an insult to their education and therefore it is heavily frowned upon.

On a forum such as this, one would think that the average intellect would be in the 50th percentile or lower therefore wouldn't be such a problem.

Text talk on forums is just sheer bloody laziness. You have a full QWERTY keyboard in front of you and unlimited message length. There's no reason for it.

:banana2:

...apart from that I'm 40, i don't understand it, I hate it. I get emails from some of the younger players in my team in text talk and it irritates the hell out of me, sent an email back to one of worst of them in Russian, took hours to create but it was worth the phone call 5 mins after I sent it......."what the hell was that all about" :D

Edited by Slapshot 3