What Chain ?

smalley250

ive used all 3 types as mentioned but regina snapped after 6 months :guinness: iris was ok but streched quickly and was always adjusting it, best by far is the renthal gold r1 chain on bike for 12 months now and still brilliant i would always pay the extra

Edited by PHB

• 2 weeks later...

in an interesting development, I bought an Iris 520 chain for my SWM project from BVM in Stroud a couple of months ago. Yesterday it snapped after light use and 1 trial. One link of one side of the bike split around the pin and luckily it didn't fail completly.

Phone BVM looking for a new chain and mentioned about the Iris failure and it seems there was a bad batch of Iris chains in Nov-Dec time in the UK with lots of failures and some nasty crashes they were aware of. They are replacing the chain free of charge (I like BVM....) but makes you wonder how people can screw up a trials bike chain. Ok, I pay

Every time I see "which chain " I cringe. As Barry said there was a major topic on Iris chains a few months ago. My iris chain had been on and in use for around 3 hours when it snapped in a river with steep bank sides at a section which was about as far away from my car as possible. the dealer changed it no questions asked for a DID which so far has been fine .

Every time I see "which chain " I cringe. As Barry said there was a major topic on Iris chains a few months ago. My iris chain had been on and in use for around 3 hours when it snapped in a river with steep bank sides at a section which was about as far away from my car as possible. the dealer changed it no questions asked for a DID which so far has been fine .

I have used DID chains for a couple of years now and find them very good. They are very heavy duty compared to the iris and they are

Toothed belts won't take dirty conditions, the muck quickly builds up on the pulleys increasing their diameter until either the belt snaps or a bearing fails.

Renthal chains seem to be pretty tough, but best for me was always an O-ring chain. Fit it, adjust it once then leave it alone, just clean it with de-watering oil. Lasted 2-3 sets of sprockets. Doesn't seem to be enough room for them on the latest bikes though. Plus they absorb a little of the power that everyone seems to think they need.

If you take an old chain apart, you will find that it has 'stretched' because each pin has worn visibly, closer inspection shows that each bush has also worn, it's the slackness in each joint that increases the length of the chain.

Toothed belts won't take dirty conditions, the muck quickly builds up on the pulleys increasing their diameter until either the belt snaps or a bearing fails.

Renthal chains seem to be pretty tough, but best for me was always an O-ring chain. Fit it, adjust it once then leave it alone, just clean it with de-watering oil. Lasted 2-3 sets of sprockets. Doesn't seem to be enough room for them on the latest bikes though. Plus they absorb a little of the power that everyone seems to think they need.

If you take an old chain apart, you will find that it has 'stretched' because each pin has worn visibly, closer inspection shows that each bush has also worn, it's the slackness in each joint that increases the length of the chain.

de-watering oil......Is that the geordie word for wd40???!! :hyper::D:thumbup: