Why Is It Called "pro" Class?

sectionone

No one in the US makes a living competing so why are they called Pro? If you ride that class don't you feel embarrassed calling yourself a Pro? If you have ambitions to make that class and once you do, you still need a regular job or parent's money to support your riding.

You're right. The class name in itself, isn't a proper title. But that's what the 'powers that be' voted to call it. You're also right, none of these 'Pro' riders can make a 'living wage' while competing in trials. They're one good crash away from the unemployment line.

There's no pension plan, no insurance policies, yet plenty of risk involved. If this were any other business, OSHA would have shut down the plant years ago.

On the other side of the coin, I'm guessing most of the half dozen riders like it for the status, the dealers think it cool to say they have a 'Pro rider', and I know Patrick Smage is proud to sport the plate on his bike.

So you don't think they are professional? Maybe they are called pros because they are the best in the U.S. Maybe they are called pros for the professional way they conduct themselves. Maybe they are called pros because one or maybe two of them make a side living from riding pro. I don't know for sure, but by all means if it bothers you please tell us what you want them to be called.

So you don't think they are professional? Maybe they are called pros because they are the best in the U.S. Maybe they are called pros for the professional way they conduct themselves. Maybe they are called pros because one or maybe two of them make a side living from riding pro. I don't know for sure, but by all means if it bothers you please tell us what you want them to be called.

Experts, or Super Experts, Championship Class....i quite like Super Experts and thinking about it most two-wheeled sports which have the word 'Super' and well supported. IE: World 'Super' Bikes; British 'Super' Bikes, Super Sport Class.....i'm sure there's other. My first reaction to the title of the thread "Replying to Why Is It Called pro Class?" I thought it was a topic on the Gas Gas Pro bikes. :hyper:

I like the "name" Champ Class! In the beginning of the US Championship, we only had two classes. Champ and Support, we now call them Pro and Expert at our nationals.

It was several years into the series that we added a senior class, which included riders 35 years of age and older. Our first US senior champion was Bob Nickelson, the Team manager for Honda's factory trials team. Our 2nd US senior champion I believe was Wiltz Wagner, one of the founders of the NATC and long time chairman.

Looking back at the 1976 US Championship results, we had over 100 riders contesting the Champ Class. In fact a lot of those rated Champ class riders still top the US Sportsmen nationals today. Riders like Curt Comer, I imagine that Scott Head would also easily win the sportsmen nationals if he decided to ride. !

Edited by Mich Lin

My first reaction to the title of the thread "Replying to Why Is It Called pro Class?" I thought it was a topic on the Gas Gas Pro bikes.

Is the top motocross class over there not called Pro, that's where it comes from. Even at local motocrosses they have a Pro class and none of those guys make a living riding, of course they do get cash for the day. I talked to one local Vet Pro who during the summer would race Friday night, a Saturday morning race, a Saturday night race then a race on Sunday and on a good week he would bring home $1,200. Pro sounds cool, but I think you need a purse for that name.

YES I THINK THE TOP GUYS GET SOME INCENTIVE FOR WINNING, JUST NOT ENOUGH TO QUIT YOUR DAY JOB, GEOFF AARON SEEMS TO BE DOING PRETTY WELL FOR HIMSELF AND HE IS DEDICATED TO RIDING! I THINK MOST OF THE PROS IN THE U.S ARE SPONSORED FOR BIKES AND GEAR, NO MONEY UNLESS YOU WIN! JUST A FREE BIKE AND GEAR, I KNOW A FEW GUYS HERE IN P.A WHO ARE SPONSORED AND I BELIEVE THEY STILL WORK FOR A LIVING, BUT THAT DOES SOUND BAD, YOU ARE CONSIDERED A PRO RIDER BUT STILL HAVE TO WAKE UP AND DO A 9 TO 5 ER EVERY DAY, AND SQUEEZE IN YOUR PRACTICE AROUND THAT SCHEDULE, I THINK BEING "PRO" SOUNDS LIKE MORE OF A BOTHER THAN AN HONOR FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, IT TURNS YOUR FUN HOBBY INTO A JOB BUT NO REWARD BUT A PLAQUE AND YOUR NAME IN SOME MAGS? YOU'LL WAKE UP SOME MORNING AND SAY WHERE'D THE FUN GO? FEELING PRESSURED TO WIN, WIN, WIN, I'M NOT LABELED PRO BUT I HAVE A LOT OF FUN DOING WHAT I'M DOING, AND THAT FEELS FINE TO ME!!!!!!!!

Shercrazy, man did you nail it! Being a Pro is NOT FUN, it's hard work! For 5 years trials was my ONLY source of income and having to bring in the results is not fun, it's work.

Of all the sports a young athlete can do, trials has about the least PAYBACK for the amount of work and training required to be at the top. Consider just about any other sport, from swimming, gymnastics, golf, tennis, football, baseball, basketball and other where you get a free college education and often a BIG PAYDAY if you turn pro.

I don't think most people realize how hard Bou or even young Patrick Smage the upstart Yank, works to earn their skills. Then the pressure to perform is incredible!

What's the life span of a top trials athlete? Maybe 5 years if they are lucky! Then what?

Here is another parallel. My brother is a "professional" archer. He has a deal for free bows, arrows and related equipment. But he only makes money from winning. He gets the purse money from the event and his sponsors pay for top finishes too.

Just like trials, it's not enough to pay the bills so he has a day job too. Pro's like this are to be commended IMHO. They work as hard as possible to attain and maintain top level skills even while paying the bills. They don't have the freedom like pros' in other sports to just do their competition for money.

It is definately work. My brother trains twice a day, every weekday and more on the weekends. It can take a great sport and take some of the fun out. But is still beats a regular job for level of enjoyment.

Edited by Chader

A sport becoming professional is the responsibility of the national and international promoters. About the very best example of a sport being promoted well in recent years is NASCAR. Like the sport or not, they have done an amazing job of creating something speical.

If the drivers/riders/players of any sport are not being compensated well enough to earn their living or fortune. The responsibility for that lack of success of that sport belongs squarely on the shoulders of the promoters. Think about it, if Poker can be promoted as a huge TV event, than anything can!

At the risk of going off topic.

Yes Lane you do have some good points to be made, and other points I may not see eye to eye with you on. I guess for what I don't agree with is your presentation of the ideas, unfortunately it is difficult to describe or pin down any one item or style. Let's just say that we have a clash of personalities, and that we may still be able to agree on a few things.

On topic:

If it is called "PRO" then there should be some monatary compensation. Whether it is trials or competative basket weaving it don't matter.