Condensers And Electrics

malcra

over the last couple of months I've been getting through condensers rather too quickly, initially on my 320TL and now on the Jumbo. So done some investigative work and written it on my (mainly SWM) blogging website.

SWM electrics

I've basically not found the problem, but tried to eliminate the likely suspects, we shall see....

Try mounting a condensor under your tank where it wont get

hot, it doesnt have to be behind the flywheel.. and if you have

a spare one piggybacked to it if it blows you simply swap the wire

over and presto... i am giving away all my little secrets

i hope this helps,, but personally i would splash out on elec ignition

:hyper: Scrumpy :D

whoa

how do i make that tiny tiny writing legible..

the website uses style sheets and its probably that your browser (IE?) may have mangled the text...first reports of problems

re wiring to place the condenser somewhere handy is a good idea and probably cheaper than electronic ignition. Anyone with electronic ignition on their SWM, let me know as interested in wiring and the costs involved

• 1 year later...

I'm curious whether anyone has a basic wiring diagram for a TL320. Mine is not running now, as it has no spark. I've pulled off the electrical tape that was wadded up along the top rail of the frame, and found four wires, two green and two yellow, that are not connected to anything, though it appears that the two green wires may have been connected to each other before I removed the insulating tape. There is also a blue wire, connected to the coil.

I'm guessing that the yellow wires are for the lighting system (and so they are unused on this bike, as it has no lights.) What are the green wires, and where should they connect?

I'm curious whether anyone has a basic wiring diagram for a TL320. Mine is not running now, as it has no spark. I've pulled off the electrical tape that was wadded up along the top rail of the frame, and found four wires, two green and two yellow, that are not connected to anything, though it appears that the two green wires may have been connected to each other before I removed the insulating tape. There is also a blue wire, connected to the coil.

I'm guessing that the yellow wires are for the lighting system (and so they are unused on this bike, as it has no lights.) What are the green wires, and where should they connect?

When rotax motors arn't used for a while the points can stick, quick spray will usually fix. If the cam on the flywheel has surface rust this will wear the heel of the points very quickly, worth a check. I have had no real problems with points or condensors over the years, and wouldnt go to the time or expense of electronic ignition. I'm pretty sure I got my last points from a chain saw supplier.

I had similar problems with my TL 320 , after eating many , many plugs i changed

the condensor and points. This did not solve the problem as kept on fouling plugs and

misfiring every trial.Then altered the timing which helped a bit , but it did not 'feel' right when riding.

I played around with carb setiings as well but eventually changed everything-

new HT coil , L/T coil , wiring , plug lead , cap , plug, stator backplate , engine case stator/backplate

now it has been ok but all the time i have ridden it before i think the timing was out .

Have since fitted a new dellorto carb also.

Now i have got it running spot on as i have played with the jetting extensively and it now

runs a milliion times better than ever before.

Your problem could be that after changing the points and condensor the timing could be out

also as this is critical on these engines- i would try this first

Wiring diagram attatched. timing is between 2.6 - 2.8 (Before top dead centre) for the 320

post-1810-1230650968.jpg

• 11 years later...
On 2/25/2007 at 11:43 PM, malcra said:

over the last couple of months I've been getting through condensers rather too quickly, initially on my 320TL and now on the Jumbo. So done some investigative work and written it on my (mainly SWM) blogging website.

SWM electrics

I've basically not found the problem, but tried to eliminate the likely suspects, we shall see....

Where is now this (mainly SWM) blogging website?

1 hour ago, HPierre said:

Where is now this (mainly SWM) blogging website?

These posts are 12 years old so the site may not exist anymore. There is a lot of information in the swm section on here, anything specific your looking for ?

On 12/30/2008 at 11:30 AM, b40rt said:

When rotax motors arn't used for a while the points can stick, quick spray will usually fix. If the cam on the flywheel has surface rust this will wear the heel of the points very quickly, worth a check. I have had no real problems with points or condensors over the years, and wouldnt go to the time or expense of electronic ignition. I'm pretty sure I got my last points from a chain saw supplier.

?

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

?

12 years ago the Bosch system was still working as intended (generally) quite a few seemed to have deteriorated over the last few years. What's on yours Glen ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1