Long Muddy Climbs

joandemma

Its all about the body positioning. Keep your toes up, this will help keep your weight back. Try to get as much momentum and drive at base of the climb as the section allows, using the tallest gear the bike will pull.

slap bike in third or fourth gear if youve got a long run up or 2nd with short run up give it loads of revs and slip the clutch to get the drive and then dont shut off at all just use your clutch to keep bike under control and lean back

slap bike in third or fourth gear if youve got a long run up or 2nd with short run up give it loads of revs and slip the clutch to get the drive and then dont shut off at all just use your clutch to keep bike under control and lean back

Wouldnt of really said you want to be leaning back that much not on steep hills either just get into the bike so your weight is low into the bike.

I was struggling on something like this last year, Tim Connor was watching and said 'Try squatting into the tank of the bike and put as much pressure as you can onto the pegs.' I tried - it worked and turned a 5 into a clean!!

So 3rd, maybe 2nd gear if it's not too long a climb, plenty of gas with the clutch slipping a bit, then release clutch, hang on tight and squat into the tank!!

If there is any flat dry ground at the bottom of the hill, use it to get as much momentum as you can - makes it less hard work when you actually get onto the hill!

Hope this helps!

Pete.

• 5 weeks later...

For longer climbs I go into 5th gear, lots of revs and let the clutch out slowly.

For shorter steeper climbs 4th gear, being carefull not to wheelspin and keeping my weight back, but coming forward again at the top letting my momentum carry me.

I'm no expert though, never rode at an event just. Its about time I did though.