92' Honda Tlm260r

beerman

A very rare Honda here in the states. But then again any Honda Trials bike other than the TL 125 and 250 is rare here in the USA.

Sven Bley in Illinois imported them in extremely limited quantities.

If my memory serves me correctly, they were much more expensive than the Betas, Aprilias & Fantics of the time. Like $1000.00 more.

I remember seeing a couple of them being ridden in the Nationals. They seemed pretty competitive, but not enough to justify the extra $$$.

It would be a cool toy. God help you if you need parts I suppose.

Bryan

• 1 year later...

The TLM260 is likely to be the worst Trials bike Honda ever made. Overheating problems making the gas boil linked to the carb crammed in between the cylinder and pipe made this bike a puzzle to jet. I know, had a few of them and competed in the US nationals with Tom Farr of Canada. I had spent countless hours trying to add a second spark plug and cooling the carb down trying to tame the pinging down.

Looks nice, its unique, but forget it.

Sven Bley

The TLM didn't even catch on here in the UK where it's a lot cooler than the States.

Only a handful of guys I know ever rode them (including my friend Nigel Greenwood, who rode one in the SSDT and it broke down).

I have to admit they look really cool, but some are being broken (parted out) over here at the moment.

Sven Bley sure knows what he is talking about on this one, listen to him!

Big John

(over the pond)

Hi Sven, do you remember Zigan and me? We rode the nationals in the 80's and 90's, I had a rtl250s and Zigan bought his tlm from Steve Orley in 92. It has twin plugs. It still knocks, but still running well. I have an 89 rtl now that is a museum bike, its in just about perfect condition. Ken Farler

• 4 weeks later...

I have a standard one and am in contact with Takumi Narita.

He told me that the porting and head combustion chamber size was a problem.

He will dig out some of his old factory data sometime soon.

When I rode his bike it ran perfectly, he was running a PWK as well as shrouding the inner face of the middle box with carbon fibre/asbestos to reduce heat loading.

As standard they did not come with Ti bolts.

Big John, could you let me know who is breaking the TLM as I need some spares.

Thanks

HI,NEW TO THIS,I TOO HAVE A TLM260-A 1990 BIKE WHICH I HAVE FULLY RESTORED,I FITTED LOTS OF NEW PARTS WHICH I GOT WITHOUT TOO MUCH TROUBLE-NAMELY CLUTCH PLATES,CYLINDER,, PISTON,RINGS,KICKSTART,MUDGUARDS,TANK/SEAT UNIT,SILENCER,BRAKE PADS AND FORK SLIDERS.I STILL HAVE SOME PARTS AND CAN SOURCE MORE,THE EX WORKS BIKE OF NARITA WAS FEATURED IN ISSUE 10 OF YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE RECENTLY.IT WAS INDEED FITTED WITH A PWK CARB AND ALSO A SPECIAL ONE OFF ALLOY BIG BORE CENTRE BOX AND A LARGER DIAMETER FRONT PIPE. JOHN. l.mcwhirter847@btinternet.com