Jarvis Wins On Sherco Four Stroke.

john.b

Had a ride on the 05 Sherco 4T that Jon Bliss bought recently and modified himself. Bike was warm when I got on it and it started first kick without any problem. Put it in 3rd gear, pulled away and rolled it on tickover down a 4' side of a ditch, into the bottom, merest whiff of throttle to ease up the other side which was about half the height, over the top, full lock turn and back accross the ditch. All without touching the clutch in 3rd gear, no sign of a spit back, cough stall or whatever. Power was very smooth and very soft. Very rideable.

Mods as I understand them are heavy flywheel weight so that the bike will drop to nothing on the throttle, like a TL125 or TLR200/250 and it is virtually unstallable, maybe a different carb, but I don't know what sort. Whatever he has done, the bike doesn't appear to give any starting problems, hot or cold and I have seen him ride it in 3 of the Classic rounds now, with no problems at all. I've also seen it grip like s**t to a blanket.

The feel of the bike is just right too, light and maneouverable, nice steering, suspension and plenty of torquey power when you want it. The most impressive thing though was the way it just plonked along at tickover in 3r gear, which meant I could ride it purely on the throttle without constantly slipping the clutch to go slowly. That was the biggest problem with my 4RT, the high tickover because of the EFI meant it couldn't be ridden slowly on the throttle, always needing the clutch to slow it down. Personaly, I don't see the need for EFI as if the carburetted bike is set up correctly there is no reason why you should have starting problems with them 99% of the time. No problem with TLR, TL Hondas or the many Pre65 4T being used, so why should there be with the Sherco, although there will always be the odd riding mishap that floods anything.

I'd like to try Blisser's bike on some proper sections but based on just that quick spin I don't think I'd be disappointed.

That was the biggest problem with my 4RT, the high tickover because of the EFI meant it couldn't be ridden slowly on the throttle, always needing the clutch to slow it down.

I agree although most cars have EFI but they dont need a high RPM at tickover. Probably the only thing left to sort on the bike. The one I rode had the tickover set high and it was horrible at low speeds having to slip the clutch. I didnt need to do this on the 4T after the mods.

That was the biggest problem with my 4RT, the high tickover because of the EFI meant it couldn't be ridden slowly on the throttle, always needing the clutch to slow it down.

I agree although most cars have EFI but they dont need a high RPM at tickover. Probably the only thing left to sort on the bike. The one I rode had the tickover set high and it was horrible at low speeds having to slip the clutch. I didnt need to do this on the 4T after the mods.

My 2005 4rt had a snatchie clutch and when i think about the high tickover combined with snatchie clutch it was difficult to ride in the mud, never thought about that, and then didn't the clutch get sorted on the 06?

Woody, that's interesting you say about the larger flywheel and it allowing the bike to drop to zero revs, i've tried this on a 2t and was very surprised some time back at how good the bike rode, i forgot about this, but i may go down this route again for my lastest 2t. Did the Sherco 4t ride stable like the 4rt, this was the best bit about my Mont?

Edited by spud

The Sherco is a powerful bike for sure if you twist it! The one I rode with the "good" carb was perfect, and that was before the kits were out!

I did not intensionally stall it hot, though. And yes I would certainly consider one EFI or not, the simpler the better. I hate things that are difficult to fix in the field!

Sherco are selective in their press releases. For example, they send them out when Cabestany is doing well, but not when he isn't.

LOL, name one company that brags when their rider isn't doing well.

That's not marketing.

Got two, 05 motor in 06 frame with short swing arm, and 05 stock in original chrome frame, all I can say your in for a treat when you get on the later version, lighter, grips better, and out performs the older framed bike big time.

I just seem to have a lot more confidence to wait until I'm correct before an obstacle on the four stroke, and trust it will go up, even though I seem closer.

Noticed on the high res picture of Oliveras in the Spanish round they have changed the flywheel cover, looks bigger, but don't know the reason, still the carb, on it.

I had some carb problems at the last two day trial, ran great first day, second day after first lap started to run ***** and flood, stripped it down when I got home and found water in the fuel, don't know how it got there as the trial was in a dessert, but it did get very cold at night.

I think I have got the carb sussed stock, and for the most part they do need little tweaks of the mixture and air screw for different conditions on the day, much more than the two strokes.

Stuck with the same motor since I got the bike in 05, and she's still strong, if the new model is as easy to start as mentioned, it will soon make up lost ground.

Stuck with the same motor since I got the bike in 05, and she's still strong, if the new model is as easy to start as mentioned, it will soon make up lost ground.

Seen the 05 being ridden now, its got some go alright!!! That torque response from zero revs front wheel placed and a quick flick of the throttle but even a 290 2t to shame on one section.

Take a look at todays European Championship results, The Sherco 3.2 4T placed 1st and 3rd in a wet slippery trial.

Wayne

Obviously the rider has some effect but I been saying all along since I had one 2 years ago - Having rode all the others, the Sherco 320 4T is the best 4 stroke 'Trials' motor out there at the moment bar none.

In my very humble opinion of course :blink:

I have had a raft of bikes and even with the starting problems of old, The 4T is still my favourite bike to ride of all time. Roll on 2008 so I can get another one :)

Take a look at todays European Championship results, The Sherco 3.2 4T placed 1st and 3rd in a wet slippery trial.

Wayne

Obviously the rider has some effect but I been saying all along since I had one 2 years ago - Having rode all the others, the Sherco 320 4T is the best 4 stroke 'Trials' motor out there at the moment bar none.

In my very humble opinion of course :blink:

I have had a raft of bikes and even with the starting problems of old, The 4T is still my favourite bike to ride of all time. Roll on 2008 so I can get another one :)

Jarvis's, Olivera WINNERS!!!!on an Sherco 4t and the crowds go WILD!!!..... Sherco have got there act together its a great looking bike even better than the Rev-4, way better then the 4rt and Scorpa 4t. Anyone know if the bike is tuned or straight Out Of The Crate Standard with these wins? I reckon this will be the 4t for us all, its that big motor and excellent chassis will rip your arms off I've gotta get me a go on one of these.

Ian, even though you will have the best 4t and possibly the best trials bike ever made i still think i'm the better rider.

Edited by spud

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if the bike is tuned or straight Out Of The Crate Standard with these wins?.....

Yes. I was talking with Paxau before and during the event and he said that Oliveras' and Bruand's bikes were standard. The only difference was in the exhaust. Sherco has developed a less restricted muffler for competition (they name it as "R" version) but also can supply the standard or "S"ilent version.

Respect to the previos model, the new flywheel cover holds the tip of crankshaft with an extra needle bearing. This modificiation reduces vibrations and gains extra rpm. Also there are some changes in the machining of head to rise the valve elevation.

The 3 units I saw during the event (Oliveras' , Bruand's and Paxau's) were in perfect running all the time.

Cheers,

JM.

Anyone know if the bike is tuned or straight Out Of The Crate Standard with these wins?.....

Yes. I was talking with Paxau before and during the event and he said that Oliveras' and Bruand's bikes were standard. The only difference was in the exhaust. Sherco has developed a less restricted muffler for competition (they name it as "R" version) but also can supply the standard or "S"ilent version.

Respect to the previos model, the new flywheel cover holds the tip of crankshaft with an extra needle bearing. This modificiation reduces vibrations and gains extra rpm. Also there are some changes in the machining of head to rise the valve elevation.

The 3 units I saw during the event (Oliveras' , Bruand's and Paxau's) were in perfect running all the time.

Cheers,

JM.

I am hearing a lot of good things about this bike. When will we be able to ride the 2008 demo's? Probably not for a while but would like to know :)