James Dabill

marky boy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched that vid section 7, I am not sure what benefit it gave but it was just blatant cheating in my book. I suspect though, if they were doing it, then so would the others. This is what makes 'Professional' trials a joke. It detracts from the amazing skills they have when this type of thing is done. It needs sorting out. !

This is one reason why i think minders should be banned, unless maybe to catch at the top of a big step.

Edited by Eddie_Lejeune

Tarres was a little before my time, not that I'm young its just I didn't really get into trials until 1997, so I never saw him ride but his 7 WTC titles does say it all. Colomer was also a very talented rider and would have probably got a few more titles if a certain lad from Silsden hadn't come along. I was surprised how quickly Colomer fell away from the top level.

Raga also a superb rider, but a poor champion, he has been his own worse enemy with his ego.

Mind you power and determination is only two of Doug's qualities he is still a hugely talented rider who still is still driven by desire to win.

Tarres was different level and won his 7 titles over 9 years rather 7 in a row (which is still an amazing feat) losing out to 2 other great riders - Thierry Michaud (1998) and Tommi Ahvala (1992) He had the ability and mental attitude to bounce back twice after losing the title which is something that (as yet) Doug has yet to do.

Tarres was different level and won his 7 titles over 9 years rather 7 in a row (which is still an amazing feat) losing out to 2 other great riders - Thierry Michaud (1998) and Tommi Ahvala (1992) He had the ability and mental attitude to bounce back twice after losing the title which is something that (as yet) Doug has yet to do.

Hi there, first time on the forums for me today and this appears to be the best ongoing discussuion.

Have to agree with 'nickday1' here. Jordi Tarres is an absolute trials god who has to be the best rider ever.

Dougie is a great rider but Tarres is the best of all.

Here's why I think this - Jordi always had 3 or 4 other riders who were ready to win the title if he slipped up - Michaud, Saunders, Bosis, Miglio, Bilbao, Ahvala, Colomer to name a few and came back twice after losing the title where Doug has only ever had 1 rider at a time pressurising him for the title - Colomer (98-02) and Fujinami (02-03)

Let us not forget that 3 years have passed since he last won the title, cant see it happening again.

I'm not trying to make this a Doug versus Tarres issue and who is the best.

Forgetting the fact that they both have 7 titles each, although consecutively is the greater achievement, if you look at the statistics their is only one clear winner.

Lampkin 99 WTC Wins to Tarres 61.

Highest number of Top 15 finishes on 206 Lampkin. Tarres 10th with 150.

Highest number of podium finishes, 166 Lampkin. Tarres 3rd with 102.

Number of points scored Lampkin 3465, Tarres third with 2341. Only just over a 1000 behind.

Obviously the above is only accurate up to and including the last WTC Round.

Please draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Cota Kid

The reason Doug had only one person challenging him at a time is because compared to the other riders he was miles in front and there has only been one or two riders close to his standard, Tarres (from what i've heard) only beat his competitors because of his mental strenght + determination, not essentially because he had more skill etc than the other riders witch doug had. Doug also has alot of mental strength but also he had a higher level of riding than the others.

This is in danger of getting silly and has precious little to do with James Dabill :rolleyes:

Nobody who has won 7 world championships is anything other than exceptional.

personally I think Doug is better, no stats required, he's a brit.

Edited by Baldilocks

I'm not trying to make this a Doug versus Tarres issue and who is the best.

Forgetting the fact that they both have 7 titles each, although consecutively is the greater achievement, if you look at the statistics their is only one clear winner.

Lampkin 99 WTC Wins to Tarres 61.

Highest number of Top 15 finishes on 206 Lampkin. Tarres 10th with 150.

Highest number of podium finishes, 166 Lampkin. Tarres 3rd with 102.

Number of points scored Lampkin 3465, Tarres third with 2341. Only just over a 1000 behind.

Obviously the above is only accurate up to and including the last WTC Round.

Please draw your own conclusions.

Wow thats a lot of stats.... who (what) are you?

It's worth noting that most (if not all) of Tarres wins were when the WTC were only ONE ay events and that a big quantity of Doug's wins were at TWO day events : 2 days = 2 wins.

Am sure that if the WTC were 2 day events on Tarres' era that he would have won more than Doug.

I would love to see (having seen the above, I'm sure you can provide) stats showing how many WTC rounds Doug has won if you only take one day of a two day event. This would give an indication as to how great they both are.

Anyway, this is just my preference re: Tarres. Only a blind monkey would say that Doug is not an awesome all round rider and a great ambassador for our sport

Just watched the spain wtc tonight and it showed very similar (if not the same) footage of the minderS behind the rear wheel. Rather than using themselves as stops they were actually holding a largeish rock from falling out of the section from which all the riders were using. The 'minder' holding it when Doug was setting off had Beta stickers on the side of his helmet and so no direct link as they were doing it for all!! :rolleyes:

To go back to topic...................Dibs for champ!! :crying:

who (what) are you?

The Cota Kid is probably Dougie's No. 1 stalker fan. He even has one of Dougie's one-piece riding suits he likes to wear around the house :rolleyes: You will not win an argument with him on this subject!

who (what) are you?

The Cota Kid is probably Dougie's No. 1 stalker fan. He even has one of Dougie's one-piece riding suits he likes to wear around the house :crying: You will not win an argument with him on this subject!

:rolleyes:

I had a feeling someone would mention the fact that in Tarres time World Rounds were one day rather than two. Its hypothetical to say Tarres would have won more than Doug if that was the rule then. However calculating the average score per trial.

Doug has ridden 213 trials and scored 3450 points = 16.197 points per trial.

Tarres has ridden 156 trials and scored 2341 points = 15 points per trial.

However you cannot ignore the number of trials Doug has ridden and the number of points scored regardless of whether or not it was over one or two days. This is what makes Doug the best rider and he is still competing at the sports highest level.

So far off topic but if the boss is contributing........ :rolleyes:

In simple terms Doug is the greatest ever, Cota Kid has backed this up with stats and we all know what we have seen over the last 10 years. Don't get me Jordi was amazing to watch but then so was Lejeune (the real one :crying: ), Michaud, Saunders etc etc etc

I'd look at it another way as well:

Before Doug no one had ever won more than three titles consecutively, Doug took his seven on the run. What this suggests is that the amount of progress each individual champion made in terms of changing the sport, moving the goal posts if you like is relative to the number of consective titles they took. Vesty won three from 76 to 78 and moved the sport a huge amount then similarly Eddy his three in the early 80s. When Jordi took the first of his people wondered when he'd be challenged, it was only three seasons later that Tommi Ahvala took the crown. Jordi fought back and nailed the next three but when Colomer took the crown from Jordi the opposition had caught him up again...........it took the rest of the World Trials elite SEVEN years to wrestle the title away from Doug (and if I remember there were injuries involved there.)

I don't think it matters what way you look at it Dougie Lampkin is the greatest rider in the history of our sport.

Oh and the Topic: Dibs has had a brilliant start on the 4rt and in Bosis and TRW a team that can easily motivate him into the top three in the world.

Edited by Slapshot 3

who (what) are you?

The Cota Kid is probably Dougie's No. 1 stalker fan. He even has one of Dougie's one-piece riding suits he likes to wear around the house :rolleyes: You will not win an argument with him on this subject!

Doug has ridden 213 trials and scored 3450 points = 16.197 points per trial.

Tarres has ridden 156 trials and scored 2341 points = 15 points per trial.

You cant argue with the numbers can you?

Both great, both will probably never be matched - UNLESS (getting back on subject) Dibs keeps this progress up.......

If Dibs can aim to beat Fajardo and Freixa regularly then he is doing exceptionally well. If he can achieve this and to make the top six at the end of the season will be nothing short of phenomenal.

He has proven he has the ability, he has one hell of a back up with Future Trial Racing and he works well with Jack Lee.