Need Info On 98 Techno Suspension Setup

mickrayner

After a bit of trial an error I managed to get the old girl feeling better. Just after a bit of info about the setup of the suspension as I dont have the instruction book for them.

I assume the left fork with the allen bolt is spring preload while the other with thte small knurled nut is for damping. Which way do you turn the hand one as it doesnt seem to make any difference at either end of adjustment.

Also for the first time I managed to adjust the damping on the rear, it has always felt really bouncy and has had a tendancy to kick back, I found it was wound all the way to the top, assuming that is the no damping position as I changed it to the other end with a bit of fettling as it was seized, I tried it at both extremes and its much better now wound about half way.

First time I have played with it but it seems better, any other advise that may help me (apart from get a newer bike :blink::) )

Edited by MickRayner

Not much help I`m sorry, but I used to have a 98 Techno, and I had the same problem with the front forks as you.

you`re right about the damping screw, I found that it didnt seem to do a lot when screwed either way.

I also found the forks quite stiff, no matter where the spring tension adjuster was. I unscrewed it as far out as possible, but it didnt really help. I was told that the springs are supposed to get softer as they get older but mine didnt. Maybe they were like that from new, I wouldnt know about that because mine was a few years old when I bought it.