Sy 175f

efi64

Hi !

I am thinking of buying a new Sy175.

I ride an old Scorpa Easy 290 which I ride off-road (up virgin mountains etc.) and I have a few concerns:

-Are there ever heating problems with the air cooled engine?

-Does it have enough power to go up steep and long uphills ?

-I am used to attacking all obstacles in third gear with low revs, with this bike do you need to be constantly in first gear and rev the bike ?

-Is it more difficult to attack ledges with a short run before the obstacle compared to a large two-stroke trial bike ?

-Is this bike a good choice for extreme off-road riding (no trails) in hot climate (Israel) ?

Thanks,

Efi

Edited by efi64

I rode a 175 on a test day once and I loved it!!

Easiest bike I've ridden and I felt so confident on it. It flew up the banks much better the my 125 beta and felt a lot smoother aswell. It really surprised me how much punch it had. If your looking for a easy bike that would be my first choice. :rolleyes:

I've had a SY175 for almost a year now and have competed in over 20 trials so I can put my hand on my heart and say for 90% of trials riders out there, their results wouldn't diminish if they changed from their 270/250's down to a Sy175 or any modern sub 200cc machine. Changing to a SY175 would, in the majority of cases improve their results, improve their technique and improve their bank balances!!!

In answer to your questions:

Here in West Aus we often compete in 30deg+ Temps with no over heating problems, there are millions of these engines (TT125's) commuting throughout the world every day in every condition imaginable i'm sure Yamaha wouldn't continue making them if they were a lemon.

No I never tackle any obstacal in 3rd gear at low revs, the engine is still only a 143cc, 2nd gear will quite happily scream its way up any long hill climb.

Unless your a very good rider I presume the ledges you refer too are not of the 4m vertical variety, in that case the 175 has no power problems however learning the correct technique as opposed to hanging on till you hopefully reach the top is the key.

Extreem trail riding?? Nah get a T-ride!!!! Normal trail riding they are excellent on fuel, and have the long ride option for comfort, but don't expect to be screaming down the trails at 120kph!!!!!

Actually, by extreme I didn't mean extreme obstacles !

I was trying to describe off-road riding in virgin terrain - no trails.

The T-ride is interesting but what we ride is very tight terrain with lots of rocks and ledges so a real trial bike seems a better choice.