'no Inspection Allowed' Trial.

scorpa3

I rode in the Shinx LDT yesterday and had a thouroughly brilliant day out. We were on our bikes for seven hours and covered around 90 miles. The 30 sections were all observed and the event was superbly organised by the Cheltenham Home Guard Club.

The one issue which I have, is the 'no inspection allowed' rule. Our own LDT, the OK Supreme, has also used this rule in the past but I am now wondering if it is appropriate.

On the plus side, it keeps the trial flowing, there are few or no queues and sections can be wider and simpler. But on the negative side it means that you often ride into a section with no idea where you are going and what you are going to be faced with.

One particular section which caught me out yesterday was a ride up a gully, which you could see from the start, followed by a tight turn on a grass bank, through a mud slot (which you couldn't see from the start) then around a tree on very tight off cambered bank. I fived this one and stood and watched for a while. About ten of the next dozen riders missed the top red marker and went the wrong way and lost fives. It's part of the skill of trials to 'not miss a marker' but when rider after rider does the same thing, perhaps we should have been given the chance to walk that section.

The bigger bikes like DRZ/KTM/XR's seemed to be less common with the trend moving towards Serrow/Alp/Pampera's; bikes which can do tighter harder sections. And this got me thinking; should we continue to use the 'no inspection' allowed rule for our LDT in September?

Any thoughts/comments appreciated on this one.

But on the negative side it means that you often ride into a section with no idea where you are going and what you are going to be faced with.

Same with the Scott trial and the 'not knowing' bit can sometimes work in your favour too :thumbup:

But on the negative side it means that you often ride into a section with no idea where you are going and what you are going to be faced with.

Same with the Scott trial and the 'not knowing' bit can sometimes work in your favour too :thumbup:

You can get off & look at sections in the Scott if you want too, it's just most of haven't got that much energy. It's quite common for the good lads to do it in areas where they haven't had chance to preview the hazards in the days running up to the event.

Sorry to hijack your topic briefly scorpa3, but are you saying that the good lads all look round the course that you have laid out in the days running up to the trial Perce?

There's a fair crowd of folk about on the Friday, part of Scott tradition along with a pint in the CB, the rest of the week it isn't difficult for someone to be where the C of C & his gang aren't. Something that's impossible to police unfortunately.

'No Inspection Allowed' sounds like fun. So long as the sections are simple and the path is fairly obvious. I imagine it teaches a rider to keep his head up and scan ahead. That one tree you missed, perhaps they should have put multiple cards on it to get your attention. The first loop must be a fun mystery. As long as there is nothing blind & potentially dangerous (like dropoffs, etc).

We occasionally have a no view section, yep its a bit of fun however I hate riding over obstacles that I havn't previously checked out, call it my natural will to survive. Sections have to be kept simple, some riders when suddenly faced with an unviewed log they are not happy with will throw caution to the wind and attack it with gusto!!!! unfortunatly Gusto!! rhymes with Snapo!!

Sorry if i'm being a Kiljoy but if i'd wanted to ride enduro I would of had a labotomy years ago!!

In a single lap trial of thirty sections 'no inspection allowed' there's bound to be at least one that catches the riders out- either by design or by mistake. It's the mistake one that concerns me.

If I set out a trial (like our own OK Supreme LDT) and I get one of the sections wrong, someone might get injured. With no inpsection allowed, it could be argued that I (as Clerk of the Course) hadn't done my job right and made the sections unsuitable for the type of event.

• 4 weeks later...

in LDT's this is the real toughy when setting sections out. especially as your catering for riders ranging form enduro riders on 525 KTMs which are far too high, high geared, etc and the riders have not rials experience all the way through to expert trials riders on Scorpa long rides.

fundamentally the flaw often is where the section aren't clear enough for the riders as the people setting it out often forget the riders have limited trials skills and no sight at all of the section (thus some very simple sections are very effective and fun in LDTs).