Van Choices

edgas250

• 5 months later...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a transporter, great van but the headroom for getting changed is a pain, I needed it for daily transport also and found it was just too big at times (tesco shopping will roll ALL over the back!) I changed to a smaller van (transit connect) bike in corner to corner and loving it. The TDI new Caddy has the extra oomph but are expensive, an ex BT connect you'll pick up fairly cheap and add a dragon performance chip and its just as good as the VW! :thumbup:

Hi,

can you advise on where I can get a dragon chip for the connect?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking for a new set of wheels... whilst I would like a Vito or a Transporter, it's not going to happen this time.... :banana2:

I also have the added dilema of having to use my van to transport my family around in, as well as bikes - so need at least 3 seats (bench seat or extra row behind). And just to add to the problem the vehicle needs to be SUPER economical!!!

Any suggestions as to what to look at would be fantastic... thanks.

To kick things off I have been thinking of a Reanult Kangoo.

Cheers - Matt.

I didn't end up getting a VW, went for a Vito in the end and it is brilliant. It is a 110cdi Dualliner, so has factory fitted rear windows and seats. My daughter now refuses to travel in the car!

As regards the bike, I thought that I would have to take out one of the rear seats to fit it in but that is far from the case. Loads of room for one bike and a large family if needs be, and in terms of economy it is pretty good. The bike goes in diagonally so would be pushed to get two in with all the seats in but with a bit of jigging around could probably happen.

Had the windows tinted and looking for some wheels, pimping my van!!!!

I didn't end up getting a VW, went for a Vito in the end and it is brilliant. It is a 110cdi Dualliner, so has factory fitted rear windows and seats. My daughter now refuses to travel in the car!

As regards the bike, I thought that I would have to take out one of the rear seats to fit it in but that is far from the case. Loads of room for one bike and a large family if needs be, and in terms of economy it is pretty good. The bike goes in diagonally so would be pushed to get two in with all the seats in but with a bit of jigging around could probably happen.

Had the windows tinted and looking for some wheels, pimping my van!!!!

You didn't fancy the 120?

I looked long and hard for a dual liner and a combination of there not being many around and not having loads of dosh to spend on it meant that I got the 110, don't get me wrong though, I only really compromised on the colour - its white!

I am going to use it as a stepping stone though and try to get up to the ideal which is still one of the latests Vee Dubs, dual liner. Let me know if you hear of a good one second hand :guinness:

Nice one Cubby. Must say that the Vito would be my weapon of choice as well...

BUT the missus drives around in a LandCruiser, so to have two LARGE vehicles in the drive isn't terribly economical.

Think for the moment I'll just get a towbar whacked on the back of the car and get a two bike trailer.

Unless I win the lottery at the weekend...

Cheers - Matt.

• 10 months later...

I'm aware this is digging up old-ish topics but thought this may help a little for someone.....

DSCF4180.jpg

looks to be plenty of room for another in here :huh: , plus they all come with a towbar so 2 more on a trailer too

Its a '93 diesel Mk1 caddy as mentioned above. gets 50 to the gallon and if you can find them before the V-Dub kids crowd does theyre a remarkable cheap way to move bikes about

The V dub crowd love these, its the mk 1 front end. There is a caddy forum, look it up some nice trucks on there. Lots of kids with no money as well. Tried to convince myself I could do with one then had a reality check, its not happening :huh:

You can get 2 trials bikes in the back of the mark 1 caddy with the tailgate up. Both facing forward on full lock with the bars turned towards one another, and pulled into each front corner. The wheels touch each other at the front and the tailgate goes up at the back. they fit perfectly. They are so snug you hardly need to strap them down.

Nice one Cubby. Must say that the Vito would be my weapon of choice as well...

BUT the missus drives around in a LandCruiser, so to have two LARGE vehicles in the drive isn't terribly economical.

Think for the moment I'll just get a towbar whacked on the back of the car and get a two bike trailer.

Unless I win the lottery at the weekend...

Cheers - Matt.

I haven't had a van for many years now and am interested in getting one for trials bike transport.

The Vito is by far the most popular bike transporting van here. The other vans I see mentioned in this forum are available here with the exception of the little Transit but in the popularity stakes the merc Vito leaves the others for dead. What I'm interested in is why is it so? What is wrong with the Vee Dub and the Citroen? We also get a newcomer from Hyundai (the iLoad) that is a Vito look-alike and I haven't heard anything good or bad about them yet.

I'd imagine that the price of the VW Transporter puts people off, and I know it's very shallow, but the Vito looks so much better than the Citroen. I'm only guessing here (so sorry if it's not true) but I'd imagine the German's will top the French for reliability and durability. I've got a thing against French cars as my old man ran Renault's for years despite them falling to pieces under him, so maybe i need to get over it if they're better now.

Whatever you say about practicality or reliability, most people would choose the Transporter then the Vito for looks (and to most of us, no matter what we say it does matter :thumbup: )

If you are after a small van, i have a Vauxhall Combo with a sliding side door. My bike fits in no bother and still space for all the other gear needed, and has the rings on the floor for tie downs. Though i would rather prefer a VW Transporter but due to cost etc the Combo is ok for my needs.