Anti Virus Software!

seandellear

Hi all!

I know there are some keen computer people about on here that know there stuff! I have just got a new PC and was wondering what would be the best anti-virus software to get? I don't want to spend loads of money on it but I want my PC to be safe! :thumbup:

Cheers

Sean

I saw HL was posting and held off until she'd made her reply as I thought "Uh oh!"

As some know, I work for Symantec (them what make that Norton Anti-Virus stuff). I don't work for them through choice, but because they bought the company I worked for.

I don't really deal with the security side of things but have always steered clear of their AV products because, although they work, they have been massive resource hogs on PCs - even after I was officially an employee and could get it for free I still wouldn't use it.

Norton 360 which is the new release has been re-written from the ground up and has had fantastic reviews. It is, apparently, far less of a resource hog and just runs away in the background. Does a lot more than just AV too.

Personally I use AVG Free as HL said. As long as you're not stupid enough to open attachments from unknown sources it does the job fine. Doesn't offer firewall protection, phishing protection, anti-spam or any of the fancy stuff that Norton 360 or equivalents do, but for basic anti-virus it's good for the job.

I saw HL was posting and held off until she'd made her reply as I thought "Uh oh!"

Personally I use AVG Free as HL said. As long as you're not stupid enough to open attachments from unknown sources it does the job fine. Doesn't offer firewall protection, phishing protection, anti-spam or any of the fancy stuff that Norton 360 or equivalents do, but for basic anti-virus it's good for the job.

:thumbup: We agreed on something!

;) We agreed on something!

Strange though it may seem, I don't believe it's the first time. I seem to recall we agreed on no muppets taking their bikes on the Pre-65 or SSDT routes - which reminds me... I have an article to write ;)

Hi,

I use Bit Defender...free version from:-

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/site/Main/vie...e-Products.html

Ian.

From website

"BitDefender 8 Free Edition is an on-demand virus scanner, which is best used in a system recovery or forensics role. If you are on an "always-on" Internet connection, we strongly advise you to consider using a more complex antivirus solution. "