Trojan Horse!

seandellear

Hi all,

Recently asked what anti virus to use and downloaded the free AVG. I have just got a trojan horse blocked and I clicked heal and thought that was the end of it. But when I checked the virus vault and checked the status of it it says healable - no and status - infected! I Have found the route file but it will not delete as it says other files are using it and to close them, althouygh there is nothing else running! I don't know what to do!

Please please can someone help!

Cheers,

Sean

Hi all,

Recently asked what anti virus to use and downloaded the free AVG. I have just got a trojan horse blocked and I clicked heal and thought that was the end of it. But when I checked the virus vault and checked the status of it it says healable - no and status - infected! I Have found the route file but it will not delete as it says other files are using it and to close them, althouygh there is nothing else running! I don't know what to do!

Please please can someone help!

Cheers,

Sean

Check for Updates on the AVG website and see if they have a section detailing how to remove the problem file. If not try Stinger it's downloadable from several sources. I'd also use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy to sweep your system. They get rid of files that are not viri, but do track usage of the internet.

Check for Updates on the AVG website and see if they have a section detailing how to remove the problem file. If not try Stinger it's downloadable from several sources. I'd also use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy to sweep your system. They get rid of files that are not viri, but do track usage of the internet.

You forgot "don't visit dodgy websites" ;)

Also, in this case, check out the Symantec site. They have free tools to remove a number of trojans.

Thanks everyone! I think everything is safe now! lol Although nothing was deleted and nothing found there is still a file in "cookies" called "index" that is a "neromediaplayer" file and it will not delete. It says that other programs are using it! I am 99% sure this is somet6hing to do with the virus and it is become a pain in the a***! What do you think I should do?

I have now run

-Spyware doctor

-AVG

-Bit defender 8

-ccleaner

-spy bot

-Hit man pro

The best program I found was spyware doctor which I bought! It found something like 64 threats - 3 low, 60 medium and 1 high (approx.)! The directory in the high threat one was the same as on AVG but this route does not seem to exist on my PC! It was C:/documentsandsettings/user/localsettings/temporaryinternetfiles (then something else I can't remember!). I get to "user" and there is no "localsettings"!

My computer is not running any different however I do keep finding odd named "neromediaplayer" files around in folders so if I don't know what they are have been deleting them! Files that were clear yesterday have mysteriously gained one of these files over night or during today!

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks!

Sean

The best program I found was spyware doctor which I bought! It found something like 64 threats - 3 low, 60 medium and 1 high (approx.)! The directory in the high threat one was the same as on AVG but this route does not seem to exist on my PC! It was C:/documentsandsettings/user/localsettings/temporaryinternetfiles (then something else I can't remember!). I get to "user" and there is no

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings is a hidden folder. Open Windows Explorer (hold down the "Windows" key and press "E"), open the "Tools" menu, click "Folder Options...", click the "View" tab and click "Show hidden files and folders" under "Hidden files and folders" in the "Advanced settings" section. Click the "Apply to all folders" button, then OK. Close and re-open Explorer and you should now see several more folders beneath C:\Documents and Settings\[username], of of which will be "Local Settings".

The "neromediaplayer" files are probably an artifact of the codecs that are installed by Nero Media Player (funnily enough). You can probably cure this problem by simply uninstalling the player and/or audio/video codecs and reinstalling if necessary (or replace with something better like VLC Player).

Edited by neonsurge