Yamaha Ty250 Pinky Period Mods

scotty

can anyone cast there minds back to when the ty250r / pinky ruled the roost! what were the best mods at the time? ive got a drilled out alloy sprocket guard and a alloy mick andrews tailpipe plus a pad (bultaco type) chain tensioner! /HEBO pegs! thats it? what have you done to yours to make it work/look better? :wall:

can anyone cast there minds back to when the ty250r / pinky ruled the roost! what were the best mods at the time? ive got a drilled out alloy sprocket guard and a alloy mick andrews tailpipe plus a pad (bultaco type) chain tensioner! /HEBO pegs! thats it? what have you done to yours to make it work/look better? :wall:

hi scotty. the barrel can be modded to 270 and the hot mod was to shorten reed block. also good idea to remove wieght from outside of flywheel. i also made brackets to lower footrests and converted rear wheel to tubeless with disc brake useing old style gasser wheel. still have a few ty parts alloy kickstart gearlever bigger air box etc and gasser wheels if interested

any more info on converting the back wheel to tubeless?

I have TY350 (several) and converted front to a GG disc brake 4 piston, works great. sort of like your pinky I guess.

I'd likd to convert the back. Drum brake is fine, but I'd like to get away from fighting tube repairs.

I have a 2000 GG rear wheel and brake, same source as the front.

With the lowered pegs, how did you mount a master cylinder and rig up the linkage to pedal?

I assume mounting the wheel and caliper is the easy part. Did you float the caliper on a bracket about the axle, or fasten to the swing arm?

it's a 'someday' project, but looking for ideas.

tks,

kcj

• 5 months later...

• 3 months later...

The popular mod of the period was to increase capacity to approx 264cc using a Yam IT 250 piston,shorten the inlet tract,can't remember how much and also cut away some of the reed valve petal.I cant remember if any porting work was involved- probably was.I had various tail pipes on mine,ranging from one of Shirty's to a Kato,then a WES "GO" and finished up making my own.I had a spare back wheel with a Talon hub like quite a few people.There must be a few still about.There were various aftermarket carbs on the market at the time all reputed to improve performance.There were some good riders on Yam monos at one time,Scarlett,Alderson,Birkett,Andrews etc.Probably the most exciting rider I saw was young David Page.He was destined to be very good but sadly his premature death ,from I beleive leukaemia,meant this was'nt to be.

ALT.

Yes the dreaded 270 conversion there are good uns and bad uns. I had a bad un like a moto crosser. If you have a good un they reckon they are great. Sold mine sharpish, got a 250 pre pinky mono to ride now white framed one, going to lower the pegs etc. :beer:

• 1 month later...
Yes the dreaded 270 conversion there are good uns and bad uns. I had a bad un like a moto crosser. If you have a good un they reckon they are great. Sold mine sharpish, got a 250 pre pinky mono to ride now white framed one, going to lower the pegs etc. :wacko:

They're the best ones them!