What Is A Twinshock ?

old trials fanatic

58 minutes ago, metisse said:

And there's me having sleepless nights on whether or not to help my tennis clutch elbow,  and put an Aprillia clutch on the Swoom.  

Go for it, they'll be to busy looking at the 38mm forks to notice ! ???

• Thanks 1

Surprisingly no one really notices the forks, its because they do have SWM  cast at the bottom, and they are from a  jumbo, so I kid myself and follow the well trodden " It could have been done in the day "  adage.. that everybody trots out when talking about something similar and covering their a***'s.  The clutch is a little tricky as its got Aprillia  written all over it and is  clearly from another era,  and stands out like a fighting dogs bollocks..... I like that phrase.... but I have tried everything possible, and spent more than a few euro's and its still not as good as it needs to be for an old fart that is starting to creak a little...plus it  seems every other SWM I see has had it done.  Hopefully it will be in Scotland next year, at the SWM themed trial, cant imagine for one moment  I will be the only one... if I do it.. Decisions decisions...  

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

My riding buddy and I had a discussion about the Twinshock vs Vintage topic riding home from the event yesterday.

Our local group runs the classes of Vintage B and Vintage C.

We both have OSSA MARs.  Mine a 73 and his a 72.

As others posted, we ride for fun.  We are honest with our score and winning is not the most important thing.

In regards to the Hondas, obviously, the TL series is vintage, but what is the opinion on the later Honda twinshock bikes.

I asked, based on curiousity.  How much better are the 80s Honda Twinshocks.  

21 hours ago, pmk said:

In regards to the Hondas, obviously, the TL series is vintage, but what is the opinion on the later Honda twinshock bikes.

I asked, based on curiousity.  How much better are the 80s Honda Twinshocks.  

If you are talking standard bikes, standard TLRs are about 10 years worth of bike development better than standard TLs.

Where I ride, twinshock class trials machinery is pretty much carte blanche. With enough effort and know how, you can make a TL125 go just as well as a TLR, and people do. The performance limitations in our twinshock class come from having to have drum brakes, twinshock rear end and a motor that originally came from a twinshock motorbike.

• 5 months later...

Dam right b40rt!

As for twinshock Official rules, I would expect my KT250r (r for Roger'ed) to be excluded.

I did it to see if I could, and to put my money where my mouth is. A lot of the ideas  came from when I first started, and people told me high ground clearance, low seat height and narrow were good attributes for a bike to have. Riding in the bush back then and constantly drowning my TY175 made me want to swap the tank and air box locations. Partially done on this KT (air filters and intake is under the tank and runs down to the plenum chamber behind the carb. Did get my calcs wrong and had to add a second filter and intake vent above the plenum chamber,..... bugger). the shock location came from the first Yamaha monoshock enduro bikes with the triangular framed swing arm. So at least the ideas are old enough, just took a long time to upskill and get on with it.

If the intent is to "Recreate" trials as per the twinshock era, then all bikes and parts should be as per period. Can be new bike, parts, but must be as per parts of the period, in look and function. So much trawling of the old photo's and talking to riders who remember what went on. get proof of mod etc. This is how classic car racing is run, heavily focused on how things were, with very few mods allowed. Basically for safety and reliability (ignition) reasons. At lest that's how I understand it.

At the end of the day, you pay your money to ride for several hours. Winning lasts for several minutes, Get value for money, enjoy the ride, ignore what others are doing,and focus on you ride, try to make each lap an improvement.and thus it no longer matters how good the bike is.

Top mod for any bike is, get fitter (it'll even help you health wise) and it can be done for bugger all!

Oh and throw in a bit of practice as well... just for fun.

• Like 1