Sherco Virgin

the addict

Brian, your right, you need sunglasses on really but it does look good. Not sure why i worried about buying blind? its just like a Gasser which i love but much better built, best of both worlds really. Been out today and its an amazing bike to ride, extemely light and small and immense power on tap if you want or need it. Motor is mega smooth and responsive even though its still alittle tight and running on a rich run in mix, its great not to have to worry about switching the fuel off and on and stopping it pointing down hill either.

Did'nt have a big off today but it has scars already, more tomorrow no doubt

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pure Sex! I don't care how many colours are on the stickers! :(

I think the couloured stickers look brilliant. For me, it's without doubt the best looking bike by far.

Doesn't mean I'd buy one as it would be wasted on me!

Leave the blinking gearing alone! Learn to ride all your sections in second gear(unless there is something massive) and learn to use better clutch control to smooth things out and find traction without spinning! :(

He'll be digging enough holes riding that thing in first when he comes up to our trial never mind second. First gear IS the only gear to use when riding our style sections, pretty much the same as the SSDT, perhaps trying to pull a big gear was one of GAs problems in Scotland.

You might well be right there Perce, best give me late numbers every day i recon so I no-one has to follow behind me. We all love our first gears, pretty much for everything and especially in the streams up North. The first gear on the Sherco is abit higher than the beta but it has so much range I might leave it alone as standard. Second feels about the same as first to start with but will pull up just about anything once its wound up, 3rd is mental and I'm not trying 4th till i'm used to the bike a bit more and same goes for the map 2 switch

Mark, I'm going to try the switch Wednesday to see what happens on some big hill climbs. James bought one as well and used his yesterday, said there is a noticable increase in power and throttle when used on map 2 on all rev ranges, bikes much more lively. I am not really bothered about the map at all, i think the bike has more than enough power as it is and things like that are why I did'nt go for the 4RT. I will give it a try though, might come in usefull for massive climbs or added revs to aid pushing whilst stuck on a slippy rock or climb.

Stripped the bike this morning to get rid of the unwanted wiring loom and get familiar with bike, really impressed how easy the parts come off and go back on again. Pretty much everything is allen type bolts and larger head types, cant find any bolts yet to replace with better ones. Wound the shocker up a bit as advised as it did feel too soft yesterday, forks seem to be perfect now after 10 hours of riding.

Filled up with Ipone clutch fluid and will be giving the carb a good clean up later under the guidence of James who knows these bikes inside out.

Did a trial yesterday on it, bike definatley needs learning, dropped a few marks from it not behaving like the Beta, but that will soon come and looking forward to learning it again. I find it very very easy to ride compared to the Beta, the front is lower so I will have to learn how to carry the front better and I have moved the bars back now as i felt i was too far forward yesterday at the trial. Grip is spot on and it is a real job to actually ride the bike anywhere in a section without wanting to have a flick or hop, these bikes are made for this type of riding. I may well get some V Force reeds from RY as the biggest difference is the very very low down grunt the Beta has is lacking in the Sherco, it wants to pick up to qucikly. I am learning the throttle slowly and the grunt point but think the V Force reeds may give it back straightaway, could well be the higher first and second gear as well though.

Only downside so far is that i wished I had bought one this time last year when I started up again, this bike is real fun to ride :(

Edited by Betarev3

Big thanks to James for spending a few hours today sorting out the wiring loom, re-routing stuff and going through the carb for me :( everything lined up fine and no problems at all, still not needed to change any of the bolts for better ones.

Wonder what jets came stock whth the Kiehin? The set for the aftermarket ones is 45/125, which seems to work well.

Took a couple piccies, first to show that the kill switch WILL go on the res side of the clutch m/c. Wonder if the loom for the mode switch could be combined with it?

Closed cell foam block installed for cleaning and fuel tube blocked with syringe for cleaning! EVERYTHING! I'm sorry if i offend some, but you simply cannot get things really clean with a hose job, you need to powerwash it, specially the radiator, from the inside out!

You should easily be able to see through it!

Edited by copemech

Someone had inquired about this mod elsewhere. The inlet screen!

I find a coarse grade fiberglass reinforced plastic material as used on home windows, available as scrap trimmings at most hardware stores that do new screens. The fine grade works fine as well.

Clean the filter retainer well so there is no oil residue and sand the top edge with 180 paper to get some grip.

Apply a light coating of 3M 08008 Super Weatherstrip adhesive and even out with finger.

Attach screen mesh(cut to fit)

Apply light bead of adhesive on top, and even out with finger.

Let dry.

Keeps all the crud, sticks and leaves out and deflects any water entry. This filter has been run for three trials, and as you see there is some dust on the screen but no large deposits in filter and it shows to only be slightly dirty on the inside, still quite usable, but I will rotate it during cleaning. Of course it has been somewhat wet here of late so less small crud has made its way through.

I have not seen any noticeable restriction in performance. Although the WFO riders may object to this!

As a last note, proper routing of the fuel hose. You do not want or need to preheat your fuel !

Tygon is in use here, which you must keep off the muff. But you should do that anyway. The stock fuel hose tends to be rigid and not last without splitting. Applies to all years and carbs. The Tygon stays flexable and lasts 2-3 years it seems, although it will discolour with pump gas.

Crankcase vent tube runs up and over , between the right bowl vent and the fuel inlet to carb to hold it!

whilst we're on about mods to keep the airbox clean.... I made these from an anti spatter frying pan cover, much cheaper than buying mesh, they work quite well, i have also done the air filter cover mark showed

Picture002.jpg

....also IF you had the dellorto you would have to get one of these...

Picture003.jpg