Carb Probs

dasher

My bike is stalling on declines. I assumed that I was low on fuel last time I was out - but filled up and still happening (quite embarrassing - when theres a queue for the section).

Can anyone advise on this. It is Rev3 270cc 2005. I am not too confident messing with carb - so idiots guide needed!

By-the-way not running too slow - screw is nearly fully in - which also worries me a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I', almost certain your stalling is because of fuel overflow from the carb bowl into the crank. Lowering the float height or the drilling mod address this. I suggest starting with the float height. Have a read through the carb sticky in this beta forum. It really isn't hard and if you are gentle with settign the float height, not much can go wrong. ;)

Cheers!

YEP this sounds like typical mikuni carb problems drilling mods sorts this straight away then try float bowl cap then you will want to change jets we have all been there with this problematic mikuni carb!

The problem with the mikuni carb is the fact it is mounted in the bike at an angle so if you lean it over to the left (the side the stand is on) which cant be avoided it trickles or as in some cases pours out fuel. By the sound of it this is not the problem you are having as if it was pouring out fuel it means the bowl is full, as it is an overflow it pours out of it means there is pleant there to run the bike. Might be worth taking the carb apart and checking if anyone has been in there to solve the problem with the fuel pouring out by bending the plate that the floats push on to close the needle valve, it may have been bent slightly to far and it will be starving itself of fuel. If that is the case then be prepared to spend any time from 30 mins to a couple of hours to fix unless you buy a new plate but i managed to stop the fuel leak on my 03 and have it running well by adjusting it that way, its just trial and error getting it right. Saves spending money to get a carb mod done that may not solve your problem.

Guys thanks all for your replies.

Sorry for not responding earlier BUT been away and forgot I asked for help on this. Obviously I want the bike working perfect tomorrow!

To answer the earlier questions, the bike starts first time always. Even after stalling. And I am pretty sure teh Rear Brake is not locking. In fact I striped these down before last outing and they are totally free. I will try the float hieght adjustment first before I get the drill out.

Cheers - have a good w/end

Dasher