Which 4 Stroker To Buy?

hop blip and a jump

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would only go for the montesa at the moment, it seems to be the most advanced bike of all of the four strokes and it also seems all the creases in it have been ironed out, or bide your time and wait until all of the manufacuters have their bikes up to scratch aswell (Y)

or bide your time and wait until all of the manufacuters have their bikes up to scratch aswell (Y)

I realise that there were only 30'ish 07 Beta 4T's in the UK this year so a comparison against the 4rt is not going to be worth much but I think I'm correct in saying that there were no problems with any of the bikes that were sold. The 08 bikes are out now and I believe that orders are flooding in for them, which must say something about the bike's reliability etc. :guinness:

I realise that there were only 30'ish 07 Beta 4T's in the UK this year so a comparison against the 4rt is not going to be worth much but I think I'm correct in saying that there were no problems with any of the bikes that were sold.

There were 2 in the NE centre, owned by brothers. One blew its head gasket, I'm told more than once, and allegedly had higher tensile head to barrel studs/bolts fitted to alleviate the problem. The other became a bad starter with suspicion pointing the same way, it was sold. Neither seem to appear in the centre now.

Couple of Scorpa 4Ts being ridden, seem as reliable as the Montesa.

There were several Sherco 4T's also, haven't seen one for months though. Starting problems seem to have silenced them for now. I think I know where there's an unused 2005 bike if you're that keen on them (and if you can start it).

I realise that there were only 30'ish 07 Beta 4T's in the UK this year so a comparison against the 4rt is not going to be worth much but I think I'm correct in saying that there were no problems with any of the bikes that were sold.

There were 2 in the NE centre, owned by brothers. One blew its head gasket, I'm told more than once, and allegedly had higher tensile head to barrel studs/bolts fitted to alleviate the problem. The other became a bad starter with suspicion pointing the same way, it was sold. Neither seem to appear in the centre now.

Couple of Scorpa 4Ts being ridden, seem as reliable as the Montesa.

There were several Sherco 4T's also, haven't seen one for months though. Starting problems seem to have silenced them for now. I think I know where there's an unused 2005 bike if you're that keen on them (and if you can start it).

Ouch!

I had heard about a NE bike blowing a gasket but didn't realise that there were two of them. My bike had different studs fitted but ran faultlessly before and after. I'm sure that if the studs were the problem then this will have been resolved for the 08 bikes (maybe that's why Beta only released a handful of bikes to test them out properly?)

I'm keeping hold of mine for this year as it's not done much since I got it last January...

I found out in the japanese championships 3 scorpa 250f's were in the top 5 last year i think!! so they must be half descent??

i had a little go on one at hawkstone and liked it, perhaps i'm a bit biased i've had 4 sy 250's !!!! :guinness:

I like the build quality too, the mont is too loud if you take the restrictors out! and the repsol is mega bucks!!

Anyone got a spare winning lottery ticket for me!! :D

One of our club members has bought a '08 Sherco 4t and he let me have a brief ride on it today a the Stafford Auto Group trial.

This bike feels superb to ride, it is well balanced, can be ridden with or without the clutch and on half throttle (or less) is very docile... ideal for the easy section on which I compete. What's more, it started first kick every time I turned it off.

Very very impressed!

I just need to try a Scorpa 4t before I make up my mind, but the Sherco for me as a club rider, rides just right.

Sorry guys, but if you not intending to be scalling 6ft undercut rock walls with no kickers theres only one real choice and thats the baby scorpa 200. Being nearly a third cheaper than any of the new crop of 4st's and 99% as capable why would the average joe or above average joe need anything else??????

Sorry guys, but if you not intending to be scalling 6ft undercut rock walls with no kickers theres only one real choice and thats the baby scorpa 200. Being nearly a third cheaper than any of the new crop of 4st's and 99% as capable why would the average joe or above average joe need anything else??????

The average Joe, really doesn't. I have owned both the SY175F (143cc) and the SY250F. There is not nearly the dramatic difference, in power, that you would expect. Once the little engine is wound up, it will pull very strong. The only issue was when there was too little room to wind it up. For example, a full lock turn, right at the base of a hill. If the front wheel was already started up the hill, before you had any room to accelerate, the engine just didn't have enough torque to get that forward motion going. But, you have to know that I weigh almost 230 pounds. An average 170 to 180 pound rider, would find the bike to be pretty amazing. My weight also contributed to the other problem, with the 175, and that is ground clearance, at the front of the skidpan. The engine sump causes the front of the skidpan to be the lowest point. So, dropping off of a ledge, etc. I would end up hitting the skidpan, where as I don't on larger bikes.

The little bike is truely amazing, and will do FAR MORE, and performs FAR BETTER, than one would expect. It blew my mind everytime I rode it, that an engine that small would pull me around and up things, the way it did. For the price, there is nothing else out there that can touch it.