Beta Rev50 - Dying

ktmsprocket

We've just picked up a used '06 model. It has a habit of dying every-now and again. I haven't pulled the carb apart yet (probable cause)......BUT......please can you guys tell me two things...

1. What Plug do you run?
  2. What pre-mix ratio do you run?

Thank You. J

REV50's do have a habit of "oiling" the plug up when cold. We ran about half the amount of oil recommended but ran an expensive synthetic to compensate with some Silkolene Pro FST additives making up the remainder of the mix. Also When you finish the trial close the fuel tap and let the fuel run out until the engine dies. Try also running a slightly hotter plug.

Telecat. Thanks for replying.

The plug that came with the bike was a 6. So I new one in of the same value (ok?).

The mix I used I'm sure had too much oil. I ran 40:1 and prob should be using 100:1 (yes?)

Also, when I think back to the pre-amble conversation I had with the owner prior to buying the bike, I suspect that the bike sat for quite some time with old fuel in it. Hence, i will pull the carburettor apart anyway.

As a follow-up question...it has the same the PHBG car that we run in the 50 Supercross bikes. I tend to run the needle clip at one down from top. What do you do for the Beta 50???

Cheers and Thanks for any help you can give. J.

• 4 weeks later...
We've just picked up a used '06 model. It has a habit of dying every-now and again. I haven't pulled the carb apart yet (probable cause)......BUT......please can you guys tell me two things...
  1. What Plug do you run?
  2. What pre-mix ratio do you run?

Thank You. J

My son has an 05 rev50 which we bought in brand new condition almost unused. I have tried all the usual, hotter plug, leaner fuel, even adjusted needle valve etc but can't seem to stop it dying. It's not all the time but can happen a lot some days and not much on others. Yet another Beta carb' problem???

Not come across this before. The 50 we had would die when it was warming up. Once warm it was fine. The oil used was Castrol XR77. We also used the Silkolene Pro FST to stop the carb icing in winter months. Try Uprating the plug to a Platinum or Iriduim version. They resist the oiling better. The Mix used was 100-1 initially but I cut back to half that. One of the problems was that the bike tends not to be revved hard which they do seem to prefer.

Someone I ride with had this problem on his daughters bike, on his it was something wrong with the electrics because he had them all replaced when they burned up and it stopped doing it, he never had the top end off so I think the little black boxes might have been the cause.

Get a Yam, they never stop. My 11 year old brother rides his TY "125" monoshock really well. My Dad put 125 stickers on it so now its a 125. :wub:

Someone I ride with had this problem on his daughters bike, on his it was something wrong with the electrics because he had them all replaced when they burned up and it stopped doing it, he never had the top end off so I think the little black boxes might have been the cause.

Get a Yam, they never stop. My 11 year old brother rides his TY "125" monoshock really well. My Dad put 125 stickers on it so now its a 125. :wub:

My lads 04 beta rev 50 was running well but kept oiling plugs up, so i altered the fuel mix messed around with the carb but the rear silencer was oiling up all the time. No matter what I did to the bike it always ran well but smoked alot.

I had the bike for four months or so and dropped the gear box oil and guess what, no gearbox oil so thought the promblem was crank seal.

Took it all apart, took the crankseal out, it was in backwards and it has a tiny little lip on the seal which had been torn when fitted in the factory( I surppose) put the new seal in, run the bike at 70:1 semi syn and a 6 plug and the bike has never run better it revs out really clean and now the best bike he has had , happy days, AS with all kids when the bike is not running right its the dads fault!!!!!!