How Do You Attach Your Grips?

biffsgasgas

I've also used ordinary car touch up spray paint for at least 20 years. Never used wire, no insulation tape and not even hair spray! Spray paint was good enough never to let a grip loose in the Scottish and never lets rain penetrate the seal.

Bye, PeterB.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input guys.

I took what i was already doing glue but added wire to the outside of the grip.

As my handlebars seem to find the ground often and at high velocity i realized that i had a lot of dirt under the old grips. If i keep that dirt out of there i probably have more of a chance keeping them alive. The wire on the outside seems to have really helped this weekend. The other part is not crashing. I did to much of that trying to save a dab oops now i have crashed this weekend but i am pushing myself so its all good.

Thanks again!

Keep up the feed back. I am making a list here.

--Biff

Hairspray is water soluble so if you've a hole somewhere in a grip it'll eventually get in there and dissolve it.

Different grips have different characteristics on the bars, some are very tight and you can just blow them on with compressed air and they'll hang on for ever.

I use pro-grip 737's and they are not a tight fit on the bars (they are a very soft rubber) Hair spray is too quick to dissolve though Windlestone has several cans now sadly redundant :thumbup:

The 'best' way is double sided tape on the bars, a quick coat of petrol, then the grips slide on and are set hard by next morning. This is how golf pro's mount grips on clubs. The cheap way is a coat of aerosol paint on the bars and inside the grips then nudge 'em on. Just watch for drips on your trainers whilst you do this. :thumbup:

I've found that if you need to remove the grip for any reason, using glue or hairspray etc leaves the bars covered in gunk and the grips ruined. It is so easy to just pour in some petrol into the grip, swill it around and slide it on. The petrol evaporates and leaves the grip solid. No hassles, no residue. Then use some proper grip wire pliers to put the wire on- it twists the wire up and you don't have any erroneous strays to pierce your palm!

petrol takes too long to evaporate and can ruin some grips.. experienced this with cycle grips.

Brake cleaning fluid evaporates much more quickly and as far as i can tell doesnt damage the grips, and doesnt leave nasty gluey stuff everywhere!

plus the grips are solid in about 5mins

:thumbup:

Brake cleaning fluid evaporates much more quickly and as far as i can tell doesnt damage the grips, and doesnt leave nasty gluey stuff everywhere!

plus the grips are solid in about 5mins

:thumbup:

Had to change a grip at the SSDT after day 1, I used brake cleaner and rode all week with no problems. Never used wire and never had a grip twist or move. I usually use evostick as its a rubber safe glue and is cheap. One tube will last a lifetime of sticking grips.

• 3 weeks later...

The secret is decent bar ends! I have made some that clamp the end of the grip to the bars / twist grip to minimise the chance of water or mud getting in when you fall off. I am very good at falling off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

All your fancy sprays and glues all take time to set. The only thing I ever used on my own bikes and when preparing bikes for Crosser and Grimbo was compressed air. Blow the grips on, stick a bit of wire round incase the ends split. Job done - you can ride immediately.

Ok here is what i am showing from your input so far

glue protaper/renthal 5

blow them on dry or gas or brake clean 5

Hair spray L'Oreal or other expensive crap 3

spray paint 3

tube repair glue or vulcanized 3

tape with gas 2

Carpet or 3m spray adhesive 2

Hockey stick tape 1

beer 1

Ideally i consider a good cold beer a wonder do everything product and i am glad that it has made it into the list. :thumbup:

We have about 10 suggestions of bar ends and wire.

Personally i used grip glue and good bar ends along with a wire tie on the end to keep the gunk out and we have been solid for the past three weeks.

Thanks for your input.