07 Gas Gas Exhaust Pipe

cman

On the new 07 Gas Gas models does the rear wheel hit the exhaust pipe? I have an 02 280 pro and I keep wearing holes in my pipe. I have bent the brackets back but it still hits and wears through. I am looking at getting a new bike soon. So any help on this would be great. Also I am not a small person. I am about 235lbs and 6ft 4' tall. So this could be the reason the tire hits as well. I did put a heavier spring on the 02. Thanks.

Hi cman,

my 2003 280 Pro had the exact same problem and had been worn through although beautifully repaired by the previous owner, but the tyre was still rubbing the silencer!

My solution will give you up to about 8mm clearance between the tyre and the silencer at full suspension travel. You can, of course, adjust this so that the tyre is just missing the silencer, or to a point somewhere in between.

Remove the seat/airbox. Remove the nut and washer on the middle box/shock top mount. Remove the middle box/rear brake master cylinder bolt and small spacer. Loosen very slightly the middle box top allen bolt, near the top of the carb, enough to allow it to move. Loosen the front pipe allen bolts, just enough so that the front pipe can twist in the barrel.

Now place the washer that was between the nut and silencer bracket at the top shock mount, to the other side of the silencer bracket, so it is together with the small alloy spacer and replace the nut, but don't tighten it yet.

Now replace the middle box/rear brake master cylinder bolt but with two small M6 washers in place of the original fibre spacer.

Now, with your allen key at the ready, apply pressure towards the carb, at the point on the exhaust, where the front pipe enters the middle box. Whilst maitaining the pressure, tighten fully the allen bolt on the middle box front mount.

Tighten the remaining mounts, not forgetting the front pipe.

This proceedure should have gained you the above clearance by moving the front of the middle box inwards slightly and the rear of the middle box outwards but still leaving sufficient room to easily replace the seat/airbox.

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I did the adjustment to the pipe that TomskiY said. It worked great. Not being very mechanically inclined, it was very easy to do. Thanks again!

Thanks TRock for doing the actual work while I poured the cold ones.