4rt Vs 2 Stroke?

grasshopper

Can any of you 'converted' 4RT riders give us an appraisal of relative pro's and cons versus your average GG/Sherca/Beta/Scorpa 2 stroke? Are there more converts than disappointed 4RT buyers - there seem to be a few 4RTs for sale recently with the owners quoted as 'going back to 2 strokes'. Any thoughts?

hey grasshopper i am a 4rt man and have bin for the last 2 years ever scince they arrived on the trials scene... and never looked back! the first 3 months were actually hard as i found it difficult to get to grips with it as i was riding a rev3 but once that stage was over it was clear this bike was it! i think a lot of riders dont give the 4rt a chance as a large con is when you loose grip is it very difficult to regain it. the trick i find to overcome this is to get a 3 stage clutch which allows you to slip it helping you to get better drive. a big pro for the 4rt is the sheer power the engine can deliver. a con i would say is its weight... the 4rt is the heaviest of all modern trials bikes which is why is is not suited to young riders. but if you need any reasurance on the performance of these bikes just look at who is the current indoor champion and what bike he rides.

Into my 6th month having changed from 315 to 4rt in Jan. When I got the bike I was told to give it 6 months and this is true. You need to forget a lot of the 2 stroke tricks and learn to ride a 4 stroke. If you are a clubman rider then I think easier to learn than Intermediate or expert. You need to forget clutch and throttle technique. Ride off the throttle a lot more and quiet agressive on the throttle as well as the bike is smooth. I don't think weight of the bike is a big draw back unless you want to hop and jump all day. If you ride smooth and sensible I think the bike has lots to offer as well as bullit proof reliability. I think most 4rt riders enjoy there bikes lots more tha a 2 stroke, don't know why but I do.

PS would try and make bike as smooth as possible unless you are very good, I think trying to make bike quick and jumpy like a 2 stroke is defeating the object.

Had a few bikes when I was younger, my favourite two were a TY175 and then a bit later, a TLR200. Prefered the TLR (although the balance of the TY175 was great) as I just liked the fourstroke power. Now, many years later, decide to get back into the fun of trials. Was looking at a Scorpa SY175F but a used 4RT came up. One ride and I was sold. Everything I wanted the TLR to be but wasn't. Have had it for 2 months now and love it more every time I ride it. Had a ride on a 2006 300 Pro and pleased to get back on the 4RT. A my level (clubman), the 4RT is perfect. Interesting that everyone who rides my bike comes back with a huge grin on their face. Any bike that makes you smile can't be bad!

Andrew

Thanks everyone for the comment. Funny, but the cons associated with the 4RT (weight difference, incompatible with a clutch/throttle style) suggest to me that i'd be better sticking with my 2T GasGas for now. Maybe I'll wait for a test day near Salisbury.....