Bultaco 198

jojotut

Hi everyone back into biking after 20 years, wanted to get back for many years but now have time and money. Bought a 198a (250 about 1979/80) need to know if anyone can help with details of colour and I need an electronic user manual can anyone help! Anyway it runs has a red tank but blue side panels and blue frame. Looking at pictures it should have a black engine but this one is silver and black top end? Is there any trails clubs in the South Yorkshire area.

Thanks and all the best.

I have seen some errors on that site so it doesn't surprise me that it wrong. The blue bike is listed as a 199 on the Bultacosc.com site.

I don't think the picture for the Model 92 is correct either.

Is this a better picture?

sherpa--20mod-20-198b.jpg

Stripes on tank are different.

*sigh* :wub: Nah, that's a 198B or 199B (read on). Very similar but the rear frame loops gone ("don't nobody leave this room") and the swingingarm is box section. And of course the BNG.

Actually the pic I posted is of a 199A, yours I can't quite tell. The carb on the bike in the pic I posted is a bing indicating a 350 or 199A model. The 198/198A/198B or 250 used an Amal MKII concentric

Tim's quite correct.

198 = 250cc bike with Amal carb

199 = 350cc bike with Bing carb

Bikes with no suffix A or B had the frame tubes below the motor with a slotted steel welded on sump guard.

"A" suffix model variants were blue tank, side panels and frame (chopped off below the engine with alloy skid plate)

"B" suffix model variants were white frame with alloy skid plates, sqaure section swing arm and chopped frame at rear mudguard with revised strengthening at seat/ air box area.

Then the B models variants were further modified by Comerfords, Dave Renham is your man for all that data of course!

I just love those Bultacos! :wub:

Big John

Hi thanks for that what I would like is just a user manual for the bike just like a Haynes manual. Thanks for the picture I sure have got one hell of a lot of work to do but looking forward to the challenge so any info on the bike is helpful. Do you know why they only produced the 198a for a year? I am a little worried as this machine has been stood for years and when I tried to find the number on the engine it have been bolstered off so the number is unrecognisable????

This might be the correct picture of your bike.

sherpa_t_250_198_zoom.jpg

By "electronic user manual" do you mean a manual for the electrics/electronics on the bike or a digital (PDF or the like) manual?

Hi again thanks with the help I attach some photos if you could help on the colour etc. Whilst I appreciate that this bike is in a mess it took me 20 years to convince my significant other that there is more in life than her/work/kids/house/drains/painting/new kitchens and everything else that has been thrown at me over the years. Yes I have put my foot down and told her that a man needs to get out and experience other forms of excitement (in other words she has let me) and that is trail riding. So I have searched and found something very cheap that runs and will get into a state that it will be very presentable and go out into the big blue yonder.

Right lads I have got that lot off my chest I feel a new man! this weekend its clean out the garage put on the radio tools ready its strip down time!!!! forget about everything for a few hours!!!!

How do inseert pictures on this site? can anyone help