Moving Rocks

tomsdad

Big John doesn't use his feet to shift rocks he uses a Matchless...... ;)

And which bit of your anatomy do you use slapper? :D and we know it's not that bit :beer:

In all fairness, assuming Dave Thorpe is never there when you want him, then if moving the rock would incur you a five but not moving the rock would incur a five and a painful injury then sod it trip over the rock and see what happens :P Alls fair in love war and trials.

It's not life or death after all ........................... it's more serious than that :thumbup:

And which bit of your anatomy do you use slapper? :D and we know it's not that bit B)

Trade secret OTF.......... :D

I never move stones in sectons, if i move the beggars I'm guaranteed they'll jump up and bite me :lol: how you doin anyway you old beggar

Edited by Slapshot 3

Great feedback lads and a good mixture of opinions, allthough probably leaning towards, move the rock.

To finish the story..............

Most riders had done two laps of a 4 lap trial.

I was the unfortunate observer AND my lad was riding the yellow route. (And I thought I was going to have a relaxed Sunday, after the previous days Youth C & D British Championship) And just for good measure it had now started to pi** with rain.

I had a dilemma.

My instant reaction along with an expert rider and the father of another expert rider was to shift the rock clear of the section. Common sense rather than the rule book was the FIRST thing that came to our minds.

Three of us had shifted the rock to a safe place when the COC brought to our attention the rule that Big John quite rightly quotes. Upon being TOLD the error of our ways, said rock was retuned to where it had fallen. I had been trumped to use a card playing analogy. The threat of exclusion for our lads by the COC was not really an issue, it being a "relaxed" club trial.

The trial continued.

The rock was not dangerous, just difficult.

Duing the next 2 laps several of the riders on the yelow route asked for 5s and most either got a five or had to paddle their way through for a 3. The good ones, lifted the front wheel onto the rock (having just negociated their way round a tree), blipped the throttle so the sump would clear the rock, got round the following tight turn and still cleaned the section. God I wish I was that good .

I still don't know what we should have done, the COC has the final word and while 90% of the yellow route may well of disagreed with him, he was correct to the letter of the law.

I think Bikespace summed it up perfectly and I wish I had his eloquence.

Me? Oberseve again. Not bl**dy likely. I'll stick to the Nationals, they're a lot less bother.

Mike

And which bit of your anatomy do you use slapper? :D and we know it's not that bit B)

Trade secret OTF.......... :D

I never move stones in sectons, if i move the beggars I'm guaranteed they'll jump up and bite me :lol: how you doin anyway you old beggar

I'm alright still plodding along. hope the Grinch is feeling his old self again?

The trouble with riding in Scotland and moving rocks is like buses there will always be another one coming along in a minute ;)

Me? Oberseve again. Not bl**dy likely. I'll stick to the Nationals, they're a lot less bother.

Mike

Dont pack it in mike, you and the rest of the observers are like gold dust, and appreciated.

Vinnie :lol:

Edited by Vinnied

I don't know ,if it was'nt a too serious trial you could of tried and made a good thing out of a bad thing,maybe along the line's of packing the bottom of the rock each side out with load's of little rock's to make a kind of ramp to make it possible to ride for the less experianced novice's,more good would of come out of that than moving it,every rider need's to taste a rock every now and again and some rider's would'nt unless it's facing them in the eye's.

And all the observer need's to do is tell the rider's the section has changed when they come back round so they need to walk it again.

I know it's not the rule's and if it's not a serious trial,then why not,it's good experiance for the rider's.