280 Starting Problems ?

gjbiker

Hey y'all,

I always thought my old 280 pro was a bitch to start because of its age and condition but I've just received a spanky new 06 model (saved a small fortune) and it seems to be just the same ! I know its a bit tight even after the running in period but surely it should start first kick when hot? Both bikes start no problem when cold but as soon as they've warmed up they struggle to get going again unless you give them a bit of choke. I've owned numerous bikes throughout my life and they all have their own preference as to how they like to fire up ( no throttle, some throttle etc) but the 280 eludes all my attempts in finding its 'sweet spot'. Anybody else out there have the same problem or is it just my technique ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers.

Hey y'all,

I always thought my old 280 pro was a bitch to start because of its age and condition but I've just received a spanky new 06 model (saved a small fortune) and it seems to be just the same ! I know its a bit tight even after the running in period but surely it should start first kick when hot? Both bikes start no problem when cold but as soon as they've warmed up they struggle to get going again unless you give them a bit of choke. I've owned numerous bikes throughout my life and they all have their own preference as to how they like to fire up ( no throttle, some throttle etc) but the 280 eludes all my attempts in finding its 'sweet spot'. Anybody else out there have the same problem or is it just my technique ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers.

i had a similar problem on my 04 280 but also could not start it from cold. i cured the latter by drilling out the starter jet to 1mm.

to improve hot starting i bent the tangs on the carb float to increase the amount of fuel in the carb. i also increased the pilot jet to a 38, but by far the most successful aid was to fit the head spacer.

the starting technique for my bike which now starts quite well(about twice on a trial i have to use choke)is to open the throttle wide as i kick it over. hope this is some help.

On some of the Pro's, they have Ducati ignition systems fitted. I have found that these have given the same hot start symptoms that are mentioned here, most noticebly with the 06 bikes. Have a look on the flywheel/magneto outer diameter to see if there is a rubbing mark - if so it is likely to be the external ignition pick up sensor that I think is making contact with the magneto. As the motor heats up the mag expands and contacts the sensor shorting out the signal - the pick up system needs an air gap to work - it's worth a look.

The other thing I noticed is that a lot of DellOrto carbs come from the Italian factory with the float heights set wrong, generally set to a low bowl fuel level.

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks guys,

every little piece of info is a great help.

I reckon the problem is more fuel than ignition but I'll check the pick up gap anyway. I suppose I'd need to conjure up a clear tube from the bottom of the float bowl to get an acurate float reading ? Any tips ? Head spacer is ordered as is slow action throttle.

Cheers

GJ

I won't try to patronise, so no flames please. I know the 280 and 300 like a big kick. Sounds a bit lame, but the difference in getting a bick kick on it makes a difference every time for a couple of bikes I know of. I can start my mates bike every single time, I think just because of the extra height and a big leg on it, while it regularly takes a while for him.

I've no doubt that there are some tweaks that can be done to ease this, so it's not the real answer, but does make a massive difference.

Lucky the kickstarts aren't made of monkey shlt eh :rolleyes:

I won't try to patronise, so no flames please. I know the 280 and 300 like a big kick. Sounds a bit lame, but the difference in getting a bick kick on it makes a difference every time for a couple of bikes I know of. I can start my mates bike every single time, I think just because of the extra height and a big leg on it, while it regularly takes a while for him.

I've no doubt that there are some tweaks that can be done to ease this, so it's not the real answer, but does make a massive difference.

Lucky the kickstarts aren't made of monkey shlt eh :rolleyes:

No offence taken Bikespace ! LOL

I'm not a big lad but I have put on a few pounds recently, maybe that'll help ?