Correct Bike?

smokebelch

I'm new here, so firstly hello all!

I am buying my first Trials bike this weekend (never even ridden one before) and have ordered a discounted 2007 Gasgas 250 pro

I am worried that I am not buying the correct bike and would like to know what peoples opinions are.

The dealer sells Gasgas, Beta, Montesa, Scorpa and Sherco and so I have the choice of many bikes.

I chose the Gasgas purely because I like the look of the more than the others and also because the dealer recommended it as a good bike to start with (as good as any other anyway).

I am nearly 18 stone and have done lots of motocross in the past, which is why the dealer suggested going for the 250.

Has anyone any thoughts on whether I am choosing the correct bike please?

Cheers

Edited by Smokebelch

i was the wrong side of 18 stone a year ago and i was riding a 250 beta no problem. the gasgas might need a slow throttle and a flywheel weight to slow things dowm a bit at first , but i should think it will be ok.

You'll probably get a lot of varied responses. None of them are duffers so don't worry about buying something thats just not competitive.

For me, the Beta or Montesa would probably be the better starter bikes. I just think they're smoother, more forgiving. Some would probably group the Scorpa in the same category - my own personal thing - I just don't like 'em. New they seem fine, but always seem to turn in to a tractor quicker than the others.

GasGas got too light for me last year, if you're good at flicking a push bike around you may love the Gasser and it'd certainly be enough for you till you take on your first world round :rolleyes: but won't last like the Beta.

Take this with a pinch of salt - it's just my own view of them - I'm in your weight category too, in fact a stone past it.

For me - Sherco 290, but I know for some beginners the 290 has got too much grunt.

I wouldn't discount the Gasser 300 - I prefer to the 250 which always seems very sharp.

i was the wrong side of 18 stone a year ago and i was riding a 250 beta no problem. the gasgas might need a slow throttle and a flywheel weight to slow things dowm a bit at first , but i should think it will be ok.

hi,

I'd agree re throttle and flywheel weight - gassers are also light at the front end and will follow wherever you or rocks point them which is great for experts but not ideal to start will - beta's tend to be a bit more stable as do shercos apparantly (although never tried a sherco). I started with a gasser and changed it quite quickly for a beta - however it turned out I was actually crap and it had nothing to do with the bike!

I started with a gasser and changed it quite quickly for a beta - however it turned out I was actually crap and it had nothing to do with the bike!

LOL - That's great :rolleyes:

I think you're describing the same thing as me - I think the Gasser got too good for me, really light on the front end. I ride bottom end of expert route, but I don't think I've got the balance to do a Gasser justice. They can make me look pretty poor sometimes, whereas 2 years ago I rode the 300 and loved it.

The Sherco feels more 'planted to me' - less affected by things you hit accidentally :rolleyes: Same for the Beta and Montesa to be honest, although I've only tried them out briefly.

gassers are a god bike to ride but the build quality is cr*p if you are handy at maintence work ie suspension and keepin it water tight then thats ok me i would go for a beta or mont i had 3 betas now from new and great build quaility and reliability i know some people have had some minor problems but very smooth and as for montesas bomb proof my mate has a 02 model had it 4 yrs and never let him down he rode the scotish last year on it and still sound well to this day have a look at a gasser thats an 02 or better still try and get bits for one they dont exist shirty will tell you that they only do 05 onwards spares cant get them anymore anyway this is only my opinion ill probably get ripped to peices by gasser riders now never mind anyway good luck

Thanks for the replies everyone ... much appreciated.

I think I am going to stick with original choice of the gasgas.

I think that from what Ive read here, all the bikes will be pretty much the same for my level (complete beginner) and only start showing their strengths and weaknesses to the better rider.

Also, I am used to maintaining bikes as Ive ridden motocross and road bikes for a long time. This does not worry me too much, as long as the bike doesnt start to self destruct. I actually find it very relaxing to work on a bike.

I am picking it up on Saturday and will let you know how it goes etc.

Of course, I will still be interested in more opinions between now and then and so please feel free to add to this ...

Cheers

Thanks for the replies everyone ... much appreciated.

I think I am going to stick with original choice of the gasgas.

I think that from what Ive read here, all the bikes will be pretty much the same for my level (complete beginner) and only start showing their strengths and weaknesses to the better rider.

Also, I am used to maintaining bikes as Ive ridden motocross and road bikes for a long time. This does not worry me too much, as long as the bike doesnt start to self destruct. I actually find it very relaxing to work on a bike.

I am picking it up on Saturday and will let you know how it goes etc.

Of course, I will still be interested in more opinions between now and then and so please feel free to add to this ...

Cheers

The Gas Gas does need a bit more maintenence than say a Beta or Sherco but you'll hear stories of problem rear brake linkages and Carb float problems on the Beta, Bottom end bearing problems on the Sherco etc etc. Providing you keep on top of these things by doing the required work and or using the proper fluids/tools you won't have many problems. Coming from MX I think you'll find maintaining them a lot less time consuming.