Slight Problems

darrelltaylor

I went riding on the aprilia and noticed the front tyre was flat. So i got the bike home and decided to put in a new innertube. Then i thought, while its hear i will get the exhaust off and pull that dint out........ So i ignored the front wheel for the moment and undid the first exhaust bolt, then my cheap allen key snapped off in the second exhaust stud so i couldnt get it out. A Bit miffed i decided to take the tank off and see if i could get better access to the offending allen screw. When i got the tank off i noticed 2 things. 1 - the tank was beginning to melt onto the exhaut (thats what the smell was!) and 2) there were some cracks in the frame, about 7 or 8 cracks. 3 or 4 were hairline cracks and 3 or 4 were big enough to stick a key into.

So i decided the frame had to come off. and as i couldnt get the exhaust off i had to dissassemble everything and unthread the frame around the header pipe. When i started this little job it was 11:30pm and i was ready for bed - i thought there is just enough time to do the exhaust. anyway i finished at 3:30 in the morning, covered in dirt and oil.

Not to worry, the frame has been welded, the forks have been lost and found again (long story). the engine was taken to work and the bolt head was cut and drilled out. Hopefully - in the next few weeks it will be back together and then i might get round to sorting the innertube problem out, replacing the fork seals and trying to tidy it up some more!

Im beginning to think its good money after bad but hey ho!

• 2 weeks later...

busy section this.......

anyone ever done their own forks (Aprilia Climber)

Mine are two completely different forks. I know this is normal on some bikes but just wondered if anyone had any tips?

Thanks in advance for anyone out there who can help!

Edited by darrelltaylor

• 1 month later...

well its been slow progress for one reason or another....

but, my frame has been repaired, and powdercoated.

subframe is on, shock is in, airbox is in with a new airbox lid (the bit that holds the filter in), mid exhaust is in and bottom end is in place but not bolted in fully as yet. bought a new front rim, and powder coated it as well as the hub.

still need to....

repair the thread on the yoke spindle

powder coat some engine casings

order a washer, some stickers, some gaskets, spokes, grips, bearings, etc

repair front pipe (pull dints out)

find new clutch lever and front brake master cylinder (with short levers)

and some other bits....

but its getting there - and the more i put back together the more enthusiastic i get.

and if i really lose interest i watch that dupont video on youtube and im dying to get riding again!

• 1 month later...

Update,

Engine is in Frame, Swingarm is in, Rad is repaired, Forks are ready to go in....

Engine casings have been coated, got the new gaskets, have repaired the yoke spindle and fitted the electrics {not that there is much electrics}

Still need to repair exhaust front pipe, consider how best to spray the bodywork {or find some new, or decent 2nd hand stuff}. Rebuild the front wheel and see if i can buy the bit from the clutch that go's inside the bearing in the pressure plate.

Then its back together and running [fingers crossed]

Edited by darrelltaylor

Its looking better, but as yet not good!

I promise to post some pics, but will post them when the wheels are back in.

Im stuck on the forks at the moment, how much oil to put in? Its a 1991 Aprilia Climber ive recently been told (which is bad because when i bought it i was told it was a 1995 or there abouts).

This means one fork is for compression and the other for rebound.

And when i took the forks apart they were almost dry inside. No oil because the seals had such a gap around them!

Ive got a copy of the Marzochi fork manual from the helpful person on here who's name i cant remember, but those forks are not the same as mine at all. They must have been fitted to an newer model.

Anyone got any help or advice?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Update....(To prove ive not given up)

The front wheel has had a new black rim, the hub has been powder-coated, the spokes have been replaced and a brand new tyre (rim tape, rim lock and innertube) have all been fitted.

The forks are finished and in the bike, the front wheel is in.

The rad is in for a slight repair (my repair wasnt good enough - it was weak and looked bad) - that will be ready to fit soon....

The Rear wheel is in pieces, the hub has gone to be powder-coated, a new rim and spokes are on the way. I have a new tyre, tube and rim-tape already and a rim-lock is on order....

I found newer body-work (as the old stuff was in bad condition) and new stickers will be cut as soon as i get them drawn properly.

I have a brand new exhaust - but its off a different climber - so might not fit it....(it isnt the same 'up and over' shape as the 280 that i have).

i will update again when both wheels are finished - might even post a pic.....

• 11 years later...