Trials (should I)

kdub

Well I am 27 years young from Ayrshire in Scotland. I currntly race mx and have done for oh 19 years now so bike experience that way is not a problem. I have also practiced pedal trials for around 7 years. I have good natural balance and decent bike skills both pedal and the engine powered kind.

Anyway to cut a long story short I was practicing the other day getting ready for racing this weekend at Drumclog then due to lack of entries the race was cancelled. As motocross is such an exspensive sport and the fact that this year I have not gained any speed tells me that maybe I am ready to take a back seat on the mx thing. Thinking of trading in for a new 08 125 to keep for a good few years and just enjoy play riding again.

Now the competative side of me wants something else and remembering back to I think 2000 was my one and only shot of a trials bike (gags gas 250) which I managed to get up and over a wrecked Volvo estate. I balanced (trackstand if thats what motor trials calls it) without any problems. Now being used to motocross maintenance ie piston every 10 hours clutch kit every couple of months, rebuilding my suspension twice a year along with tyres etc is trials a lot cheaper to compete at.

The only local dealer I have is Mortons in Sorn which he has a couple of tidy Gas Gas 06 250 and 300 going for around 2100. Are these worth it. They have been trialed but look very fresh.

So many questions, cheers for any replies guys.

Cheers Kdub

Welcome to the sport,

You have made a good choice to give trials a go. :D

My bike is a 2000 sherco 2.9 as far as maintenence, the basics lube everything keep it clean and fix what breaks. I have owned it 3 or 4 years (memory not so good) I have done fork seals, a couple rear tires, various bits that I have broken, and brake pads. I am considering an entire engine rebuild but I also took it for a "swim" last summer. (Silly bike just did not want to make water combust...go figure) So I would say that maintenance cost should be much less than MX.

Just my opinion, but from what I have seen the gassers are good bikes, took a buddies 2004 300cc for a ride and I think I am convinced that will be my next bike. When and if I get a different bike.

Kdub

Rear brake pads tend to go fast as you will learn to drag the rear brake to control your speed when turning. You may have to replace them every 3-6 months. You may want to use nylon screws or bolts to retain your plastic bits. The nylon will break or pull out saving you from having to buy a new fender every now and then. Zip ties work but not as well. If you keep the air filter clean and well oiled and change the transmission oil at least twice a year the bike will last nearly for ever.

DFW

Kdub

Rear brake pads tend to go fast as you will learn to drag the rear brake to control your speed when turning. You may have to replace them every 3-6 months. You may want to use nylon screws or bolts to retain your plastic bits. The nylon will break or pull out saving you from having to buy a new fender every now and then. Zip ties work but not as well. If you keep the air filter clean and well oiled and change the transmission oil at least twice a year the bike will last nearly for ever.

DFW

I go through a set of rear brake pads in a couple of weeks at the minute and 1 weekend if the weather is wet(wrecked a set this moring in 3 x 15 min motos practicing). As for filters 3 a day and oil change every hour (filter every 2)so I reckon this is going to be a very cheap sport to compete at except for the initial outlay.

Now the GAS GAS bikes are mean looking how ever I have been warned about there reliability. So looking at Scorpa for bombproof engines, what about Beta and Sherco. Any major problems to watch out for when buying. I am looking for a 2005 and newer bike. So any buyers tips would be appreciated.

Cheers Kdub

Kdub,

I have an 03 SY-250 and it is a great bike. My son has a 99 Sherco. The frame cracked and had to be repaired. The engine/transmission is still in decent shape but the rest is worn out and needs to be replaced.

Here is my take on what trials bike to buy.

Scorpa SY-250 03 or newer

Montesa 315R 03 or 04 (older are still good but the newer ones are smooth as silk)

Montesa 4RT any year if you would like a 4T and can spend more than 3k

Sherco is OK (on the older models check the frame just above the radiator for cracks)

Beta is OK but watch for water pump corrosion (can be severe and require replacing the side case)

Gas Gas Pro not OK for a beginner (Handle bar clamps break off) They are very light but sacrifice longevity for it.

Gas Gas TXT the model before the Pro is good durable but older

The best thing to do is ride them all and then make a choice.