Ultrasonic Cleaning?

neonsurge

Can anyone recommend a company who will ultrasonically clean a carb, preferably in the North Yorkshire area? Alternatively, any recommendations for cleaning a carb from a bike that's been stood unused for 3+ years and is completed gummed up (the interior is coated with stuff that's almost like limescale)?

I had that with a 241 mono Fantic once. It had stood with fuel in it that had gone off big time, the fuel had a smell like creosote and it alsmost glowed in colour. The carb was coated in a gung and I removed it by carefully steeping the carb in a proprietory brake cleaner, it was then flushed with neat petrol and blown clear by compressed air.

Mind you I wore safety specs and tried not to inhale any of the fumes created and wore protective rubber gloves at all times.

Big John

Thanks for everyone's input. Since I'm now 60% convinced that this carb is ultimately heading for the bin I decided to take a chance on a tip I came across on a web site dealing with tractor maintenance(!) and decided to risk the "dip" method. I've stripped the carb down to the bare body and it's now soaking in a cocktail of Cillit Bang and degreaser. Guess we'll see what happens :wacko:

Woody: Thanks for the tip-off re. Sonic Solutions - they'll be my next call.

Thanks for everyone's input. Since I'm now 60% convinced that this carb is ultimately heading for the bin I decided to take a chance on a tip I came across on a web site dealing with tractor maintenance(!) and decided to risk the "dip" method. I've stripped the carb down to the bare body and it's now soaking in a cocktail of Cillit Bang and degreaser. Guess we'll see what happens :wacko:

Woody: Thanks for the tip-off re. Sonic Solutions - they'll be my next call.

We use to be able to purchase a bucket of cleaner. You'd just hang the part in it over night and it'd come out sparkling. Too many whiffs of the fumes and you face would melt off. I don't think you can get it anymore.