What's The Deal With

ishy

China's industrial prowess is stronger than most realize. This is most recently evident in the bicycle industry. Think that Trek you ride is American made? Think again. Specialized...? same story. Nearly all of their bike frames are made in China by another "little" bike company named "Giant".

I also found this little gem a couple years ago. Back then I was under the imperssion that the bike was manufactured in Europe. If this is a knock off, it's pretty darn good.

Edited by Gaby

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok TC people, it looks like we are amassing a nice 'dossier' of uncomfortable questions for Andy to ask Xispa on our behalf:

Are your parts suppliers abiding by the Kyoto agreement and offering their workers a fair wage?

Are your parts suppliers providing clean ,safe working conditions for their workers?

Are your parts suppliers breaching any 'Intelectual copyrights'?

Somehow I don't think any of us will be asking these sort of questions if the quality is ok and the price is low.

While we're all sumising ,can some of the more technical people out there guess the layout of that new engine? e.g. Why would you put that sight glass in harms way at the leading edge of the clutch cover ?

Andy,can you ask if I can have a free promotional biro please,

Ta.

Wayne

While we're all sumising ,can some of the more technical people out there guess the layout of that new engine? e.g. Why would you put that sight glass in harms way at the leading edge of the clutch cover ?

Good question - Having it protruding like that is asking for trouble!

Seen somewhere the motor was touted to be 1k less weight than a Sherco!

It is a good motor to copy, they don't break! If I wanted to save 1k, I would just shave down the gears to GasGas spec. ! No prob!

The kicker gears on a Sherco are more massive than the primary drive on a Gasser! I'll stick with the reliability over the performance factor for now, thanks!

The Chinese will copy anything to make a buck or a quid, cheap! Just wait till you see the cars! And trucks!

Hell, even the Japaneese cannot afford to produce anything in country anymore! :wacko:

You need US tech support, Call Ran Yang, or in the UK, call Min Ran Sing! <_<

Hmmm they claim a 2 year warranty? Is that in chineese years?

I have seen several of the chineese knock offs with non roller bearing lower and upper ends. It sounds silly but i would be interested to know if they use real bearings. (needle) Thanks in advance.

China is growing very quickly as seen from an employee of one of the not so big three's. They will be full force in american auto market within 2 years.

If that engine is cheap alone it might make a good base for a home built bike....... great thats all i need. Another project...

--Biff

BAsically the Chinese are not the "new" Japan. Japanese goods were high quality items produced at a lower price. Unfortunately Chinese items aren't. Yes they can produce at a low cost, BUT the quality has never been there. Only European, Japanese and US operations where the company is managed and quality controlled by nationals from those countries get anywhere near and hence the price goes up. It's no coincidence that Chinese goods have a high return rate and neither that "brand names" haven't made it out of China. I wouldn't risk my neck on a road bike from China let alone a Trials machine.

I see no mention of China on their web site, it does say made in Spain. I bought a cheap chinese pocket bike and yes the components are quite crappy but the construction was even worse, fuel lines rubbing on exaust ect...On the pocket bike I was able to upgrade most of the nuts and bolts and bearings for quite cheap, made it twice the bike. I suspect in Canada we won't ever see one of these bikes anyway. time will tell, as well as availibility of parts.

• 4 weeks later...