2003 290 Swinging Arm Removal.

montaco

Any tips on drilling out the s/a spindle?.

Got up to the biggest size hammer in the toolbox and still seized solid, at a guess its seized in the engine cases as it's ali too?. No room to get a hacksaw blade in either.

Thanks again for all the input guys.

Unfortunately, on this occasion gentle wasn't an option, as the spindle was very clearly seized solid in the cases and probably in the s/a bushes as well.

When I said "seized solid" I really meant SEIZED SOLID!!!!!.

Fortunately my youthful experience of bodging british bikes, together with some lateral thinking, has stood me in good stead and the swinging arm is now out with no damage other than to the spindle.

Part of the spindle is still in the bushes and the cases so I'll probably just take the engine out to finish the job on the bench.

Thanks again. ;)

Forgot to say that the job was complicated by the fact that son had snapped off most of the head of the spindle when trying to turn it in the first place!.

Edited by montaco

Thanks again for all the input guys.

Unfortunately, on this occasion gentle wasn't an option, as the spindle was very clearly seized solid in the cases and probably in the s/a bushes as well.

When I said "seized solid" I really meant SEIZED SOLID!!!!!.

Fortunately my youthful experience of bodging british bikes, together with some lateral thinking, has stood me in good stead and the swinging arm is now out with no damage other than to the spindle.

Part of the spindle is still in the bushes and the cases so I'll probably just take the engine out to finish the job on the bench.

Thanks again. ;)

Forgot to say that the job was complicated by the fact that son had snapped off most of the head of the spindle when trying to turn it in the first place!.

So give us the lowdown - how did you do it??

Stuck spindle illustrates the importance of greasing everything, especiallly when the bike is new (and still free)!

Broke off the remains of the spindle head and cleaned it up as far as possible with a cold chisel.

Drilled freehand from each side a pilot hole in the spindle as far as just inside the line of the cases.

Stepped up drills as far as 12mm, the spindle is 14mm and I left 1mm spare all round in case not quite central.

Using a reversed clamp, spread the frame just enough to get a junior hacksaw blade between the frame and swinging arm and cut through the remains of the spindle.

Using the old bolt/nut trick, spread the front of the swinging arm just enough to get the junior saw blade between the cases and the swinging arm bush and cut through the remains of the spindle here too.

Simple really, as long as you have the patience!.